Dualing Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a couple of male Ruby Reds in my 55 that are coming of age, and beginning to color up. As of recently, they have begun to spat a bit to see who which one is dominant. It's really quite interesting to watch. One will challenge the other one with a menacing glare. If the other accepts the challenge they will swim in a circular motion round each other until finally they square up, open their mouths, and begin a melee of lip-locking. Then the process repeats itself until one of them has had it and submits. They never nip at each others' fins or sides, only lip-lock. Their lips get a little white and frayed during the fighting, but not so much that they don't heal completely by the next day, Funny thing is, the smaller one usually "wins."

My question is, is this acceptable behavior? Is it ok to just let it go, or do I need to remove one of them from the tank?

This is a natural occurrence with cichlids.
The two are simply squaring up to decide dominance and if you will breeding rights.
While they are both entering into the fray I don't see a problem.It is if one doesn't fight back that you could get problems with bullying.
Keep a close eye on them but they should be fine and it should settle down.Hope this helps.

garfy said:
This is a natural occurrence with cichlids.
The two are simply squaring up to decide dominance and if you will breeding rights.
While they are both entering into the fray I don't see a problem.It is if one doesn't fight back that you could get problems with bullying.
Keep a close eye on them but they should be fine and it should settle down.Hope this helps.

It does help, I appreciate your advice, as usual :)

I had 2 male ruby reds grow out in a 75. For months only 1 showed full colors and spawned, then the 2nd also showed full colors, Within a week one was dead, really couldn't say which it was.
I had 2 male eureka reds in another 75, moved the non-dominant one out before he went the same way.
Less likely to be fatalities if there aren't any females in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom