Dust Particles *Please Help!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WingedGrace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a tank which has been running for a few weeks and i have small dust particles that float around the surface and move around with the filter flow. It doesnt seem to be affecting my fish much but its still there and i would like to be rid of it.
I have tried:
-Taking filter and biowheel out for an hour
-Rinsing filter and biowheel in cold water
-stopping filter and scooping it out
-using a bacteria supplement
-I would try the fine filter media but i cannot seem to find that anywhere

My Tank is a 20 gallon with LED lights, a heater and a penguin 150 biowheel filter. It contains 4 guppies and 4 platies so far.
**Everything in my tank has been rinsed thoroughly before putting it in

They are white and they look as if they are coming out of the filter stream and then they kinda rest on the surface of the water until either sucked up by filter or taken down back into the water by the water stream from the filter.

Was your tank cycled?
There is always a cloudy look when first starting a tank due to nitrogen cycle taking place. Can last between 4 to 8 weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Was your tank cycled?
There is always a cloudy look when first starting a tank due to nitrogen cycle taking place. Can last between 4 to 8 weeks.

+1 and you say you're rinsing off your filter and biowheel in cold water.

Not to sound degrading at all, but do you understand the previous question about cycling a tank?

Knowing where you stand with fishkeeping knowledge can help get you the best responses.

There is generally cloudiness when first starting a tank, but they shouldn't be visible particles. My best idea would be micro bubbles because they are so visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Petsmart told me that I should rinse them under cold water and that it would not affect my beneficial bacteria since it was cold water

It looks like dust though and when it gets to the top they dont pop after awhile so no.. i dont think they could be bubbles

Was your tank cycled?

It is not cloudy at all.. its just the particles

Back
Top Bottom