Dwarf cichlid experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. And I know It. Isn't correct but using the inch of fish per gallon, I am only at 22. So could I still add a guppy 2 bumblebee gobys( forgot to add to my MUST HAVE) but also and a bn pleco? And there is no way I could add a krib or keyhole into the mix?

This is going to sound mean, and I don't mean it to, but perhaps you should take a minute to research the fish that you reeeeally want to keep. Narrow that down to some compatible ones and work from there.

Sorry, and I completely understand what you are saying. I am sorta new and just fell in love with so many fish! But I kno I still have a lot of knowledge to learn! So I think I'll add the bumble bees and 3 guppies, but no ottos or plecos,
1'apistogramm
1 gbr
1 dg
1 swordtail
4 Pygmy Cory's
5 chery barbs
3 guppys
2 bumble bee gobys
And I'll have do part with the others.

Sorry, and I completely understand what you are saying. I am sorta new and just fell in love with so many fish! But I kno I still have a lot of knowledge to learn! So I think I'll add the bumble bees and 3 guppies, but no ottos or plecos,
1'apistogramm
1 gbr
1 dg
1 swordtail
4 Pygmy Cory's
5 chery barbs
3 guppys
2 bumble bee gobys
And I'll have do part with the others.

the problem is that you eliminated a bottom dweller, something you don't have much of. You need to eliminate some mid-dwellers instead.

Is there any way to add a small angel into the mix?

Unless you DRASTICALLY cut down your stock list, there is no way.

This is my suggestion:
1 Ram
1 Apisto
2 Bumblebee gobies
6 Pygmy Cories
8 Cherry Barbs
3 Guppies

I eliminated the DG and the swordtail. Honestly some think that 40 gallons is the minimum tank size for a swordtail, and so in a 29 with the rest of that stock IMO it is not a good idea at all. Also, dwarf gouramis dwell near the bottom of the tank, just like rams and apistos do, IME. While 1 Ram and 1 Apisto in the same region of the tank would be OK IMO, adding a DG to the situation would make things a bit hairy.

From my understanding, a dg would be twirls the top! And also, I have really been wanting swordtail so is be able to nix the guppys

To add to what bud said, i do believe that sword tails need to Live in small groups right? Because they're just like platies right?

Also, I've kept dwarf gouramis with all kinds of fish, and they always come out as the bad guy in most situations. In a tank like you have, a dwarf gourami would be too stressed, and it would take that out on the other fish.
However i could be wrong about the swordtails. Anyways good luck :)

From my understanding, a dg would be twirls the top! And also, I have really been wanting swordtail so is be able to nix the guppys

They are labyrinth fish, so they come to the top to breathe occasionally, but otherwise they stay near the bottom IME.

To add to what bud said, i do believe that sword tails need to Live in small groups right? Because they're just like platies right?

They are like platys, but platys don't need to be in groups. From my understanding no livebearers need to be in schools.

If you want a swordtail, you would probably need to take out the guppies and dwarf gourami. You would also have take the school size of the barbs back down to 5 or 6. Even that IMO is not an optimal arrangement, but if you're set on the swordtail I can't change that.

Going to add more confusion - do not keep Pygmy Cory's with Apistogramma's, my Panduro pair killed my 6 Pygmy's in 5 days - and that's a 63 gallon tank. The Apisto's hated them, chased them everywhere - poor little guys. The smallest I would go would be Corydoras Habrosus.
I have kept Rams and Apisto's together without much problem, if there is a problem it will probably come from the female Apisto.
Overall there is just to many types of fish for a 29G, I think it will look pretty messy.

Personally I would do a pair of Bolivians Rams or German, a large school of Tetra of some sort and 5 Julii Corydoras.

Last edited:
From my research, swordtails reach 4 in. Without the tail. So I don't understand how swapping out a dg and 3 guppies would equil the swordtail, but I guess you would know more than me. So if I do the sword, what swould I do?

Back
Top Bottom