Dwarf Corycats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
does anybody have eny experience with these, i am really interested in getting a few of them.
1)what tank size?
2)what food?
3)will they be ok with guppies?
If i could get some answers for these it would be greatly appreciated. And if anybody could direct me to a site that has alot of info, that would be great too.

They will in anything from 5 gallons up. Try to keep them in groups. they will do fine on flakes and whatever you feed your other fish. They will live happily with your guppies.

I really like cories too, i have a lonely one in my ten gal. i want to get him a friend so i might put my danios in my pond, that way i could fit him in. I want to get a pair of the dwarf ones for my 5gal. I already have a fancy guppy pair in there, and a platy pair(the platys will be moved soon into an 28gal indoor pond) Do you think that will be overstocked?

Could you put 2 more in your 10 gallon once you move the danios out ? 3 cories would be better and they'll be fine with the dojo loach. I'm not sure that the 5G gives them enough space - they have ALOT of energy

yes i know, they are so fun to watch, once i move the danios out i could put two more in for sure. Can you mix types of cory cats, for example, i have a green cory in my 10gal right now, would it be possible to get an albino and lets say a peppered? would they all form a shoal together?

I believe they shoal best when they all have the same sort of coloration / markings - do a search on the words *different cories* (search for all words) - I know this has been discussed a couple of times but I'm not 100% sure of the answer

hrm same coloration/marking? i have 3 1 inch SAE's, 1 dwarf cory, and 2 bluefin killifish schooling together... lol (im planning on getting more cories, but the place i got them from doesnt have them anymore

There are a couple of auctions for dwarf cory's on aquabid now, good prices, only bad part is shipping. You might be better off to delay shipping until the weather cools a bit, 90's-100+ is too hot for priority mail, unless you're relatively close to the seller.

cories

I think Joannde is dead on about color and markings. I thought they needed the same species to shoal, and may need to be for maximum cory bliss. lol But I have peppered corys and pitbull plecos in the same tank. They are a similar size and very close in clolor and markings. Sometimes they seem to get confused as to who is which. One cory with 2 plecos, etc.

The pitbulls are cute little guys. Like a stocky, oversize otto. Lousy for eating algae, though. They prefer fishfood, but will demolish zuchini. Of course that means they do not poop as much. LOL

My LFS had pygmy cories only once. I bought 6 and 4 were eaten by an upside down cat I had no idea was living in my tank. One died a week or so ago and now I am left with one. I'd love to get more. I really need to bug my LFS about that.

my LFS is really great. I know the owner pretty well from doing voulenteer work there and she will order any species of fish in for me if i ask her to so i have no problem with finding fish. I think i am going to add two more green cories to my tank. That should be good, they are readily available and really cheap. I don't think i have room for plecos. Thanks for your help.

I was just at a LFS the other day, and they had green corries that were at least 3" long - these were HUGE, compared to the immature corries you normally see. Looked like little pit-bulls with fins. Assuming they survive, be prepared for some serious growth over a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom