Dwarf Gourami #'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grassman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 38 Gallon Tank with 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Corydora, 2 Angel fish, 4 Danios, and about 8 Female Guppies. I'm running an Aquaclear 50 UGF and a HOB Aquaclear 50 filter. I added the two Gouramis about 2.5 weeks ago. They were very peaceful with each other. The last week it seams that the one is always chasing the other around the tank. Sometimes they go at each other. They are not agressive to the other fish in the tank , just each other. There does not seam to be any injuries to either fish. Should I have bought 3 or just one. The store only sold males. There were no females available. Is this normal behavior? Any advice would be helpful.

I had bought 4 dwarf gouramis once for my 55 gal and one of them ended being the dominant fish and chased the others until the other 3 were dead. The women at the pet store said they would be fine together but i've long since learned that they are often wrong.

from experience, if you want to keep a group of Gouramis (any species), there should be females present!

Gouramis are related to Bettas. Males will be territorial regardless of the tank size. Having females in the tank diffuses the aggression and keeps the males distracted.

recommended, 1 male: 2 females ratio.

Personally the more fish and plants you have with the gouramis the less chance of aggression. I'm keeping four gouramis in my tank right now, no problems.

yes, multiple hiding places and extra plants for cover are important for tanks containing several gouramis (or any aggressive fish for that matter)

Back
Top Bottom