Dwarf Hairgrass lighting requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are the lighting requirements for Dwarf Hairgrass? Would they be okay with 2.4 watts per gallon?

It depends on how far away the lights are from the substrate and what kind of light. It sounds like you probably have t5s, am I right? 2.4 watts per gallon should be sufficient to put you in the medium to high range of light. Also do you have co2 in your tank I know this wasn't your question but just wondering because when you do cross the mark to high light it is recommended that you do have a source of co2.

It depends on how far away the lights are from the substrate and what kind of light. It sounds like you probably have t5s, am I right? 2.4 watts per gallon should be sufficient to put you in the medium to high range of light. Also do you have co2 in your tank I know this wasn't your question but just wondering because when you do cross the mark to high light it is recommended that you do have a source of co2.

The good think about my tank is that is isn't high, it is long. The lights are about 14 inches from the substrate. I have T5 HO lighting. Also, I use Flourish Excel as a liquid carbon source.

What type bulbs do you have? T8, T5HO, T5NO, or ??? Plus the size and especially the depth of the tank has a lot to do with it. If you have T5HO's they don't go by watts per gallon. There are some graphs showing Par of T5HO's and T8's I believe. You can search the archives since I don't have that link handy. But in my 55g that is 18" tall a 2 bulb T5HO fixture with Geisemann bulbs gives me a good solid medium light.

For DHG to really grow well you need high light, CO2, and good ferts, preferably dry as they provide all the macro and micro nutrients needed.

What type bulbs do you have? T8, T5HO, T5NO, or ??? Plus the size and especially the depth of the tank has a lot to do with it. If you have T5HO's they don't go by watts per gallon. There are some graphs showing Par of T5HO's and T8's I believe. You can search the archives since I don't have that link handy. But in my 55g that is 18" tall a 2 bulb T5HO fixture with Geisemann bulbs gives me a good solid medium light.

For DHG to really grow well you need high light, CO2, and good ferts, preferably dry as they provide all the macro and micro nutrients needed.

I have 1 36" 39W 650nm Pink Roseate bulb and 1 36" 39W 6,000°K bulb. My tank size is 36" by 12". My lighting fixture is T5HO. I will tell you that the bulbs that I have are about to burn out, so I'm going to order two new bulbs (probably of better quality). Here is a list of possible bulbs that I can buy:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2975&c=3578

The bulbs that I would need would fall under the Freshwater Planted-36" category.

I am starting to use the PPS pro method too.

I plan on buying two 39 W, 6700 K, bulbs from Foster and Smith soon. My old bulbs were in the 6000 K range.

Back
Top Bottom