Dwarf Lily Maybe? Little help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJandTrey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me if this is in fact a dwarf Lily? I bought a ton of plants just put in my 46 bowfront ( I'm really getting into the planted tanks but I don't know hardly anything about it). This one in the front started out tiny from a little bulb, and has gone crazy in the last couple weeks. I really like it but I feel like I need to clear some space for it. Just wondering about a positive identification on it and care instructions.

ForumRunner_20130618_200752.jpg

Ive got dirt substrate with PFS cap. Root tabs and running DIY CO2.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Had that in my old tank yet the name is escaping me, it did how ever grow crazy, I never trimmed it and it had 5 leaves that sprouted all the way to the top of a 29g as well as a bunch down low to make it thick

Lily! If you want the low leaves to grow & fill out, it s reccomended that you cut out the tall stems.

Does it flower or anything? Do I need to clear out the dwarf hg next to it?

I have a lily also and like the post above me say don't let the leaves touch the top as soon as one does they all do. I think they do flower but IMO they don't look good as a forground plant when the leaves are at the top more of a background.

It looks like Nymphaea pubescens. I have the same one. If you want to keep it neat in appearance with submerged growth then you need to keep any leaves trimmed off that start growing quickly to the suface. Once leaves are allowed to reach the surface the bulb puts all it's energy into sending out surface leaves. By keeping surface leaves trimmed off this causes the bulb to send out mostly submerged growth leaves which is what you want. You really don't want these to flower if you want a nice looking plant. These also need to have root tabs as they are mainly root feeders.

You see how in the picture the arrow shaped leaves are low to the bulb? Those are submerged growth leaves. See the one on the thin stem shooting rapidly towards the surface? That is a surface leaf which you want to cut off. You will notice these leaves have a rounder shape to them.

Back
Top Bottom