Dwarf ottos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just went and purchased 5 what Were labelled as pygmy corys to go with my other 3 in the 17.5g. I have a good look in the car and they look like dwarf ottos! How do I know if they are dwarfs and not regular ottos? I don't mind keeping them if they are dwarfs since they should be fine in my tank.

These are such fun little fishies to watch! They got to business straight away eating the algae off the glass,leaves and rocks :)

Yeah, those look completely different from the two species of dwarf cory I have. (c. pygmaeus and c. habrosus). The color is similar to pygmaeus, but the head and fins are completely different! I'd post a pic but my pygmaeus really only come out in the evening.

Yeah, those look completely different from the two species of dwarf cory I have. (c. pygmaeus and c. habrosus). The color is similar to pygmaeus, but the head and fins are completely different! I'd post a pic but my pygmaeus really only come out in the evening.

Yeah I know they aren't pygmys I have 3. I should of had a closer look at the store injury saw the label and said I want 5 pygmys a d the guy got them while I chased my 3 year d monster around the shop :/

Dwarfs ottos?

Otocinclus is a genus of armored catfishes native to South America which are commonly called "dwarf suckers" or "otos".

So they are dwarf loricariids, but no, not dwarf otos. Just otos, but young ones

Otocinclus is a genus of armored catfishes native to South America which are commonly called "dwarf suckers" or "otos".

So they are dwarf loricariids, but no, not dwarf otos. Just otos, but young ones

Oh ok well that's good they are still a dwarf species I can keep them with not having to re home them when they get bigger now :)

no worries, they only get to be about 2" max! The minimum recommended tank size is 20 gallons

Yup, and they prefer groups so you're good there too. Though I had one solo for a while and was completely fat and happy, I added a few more and I think it makes them a little less "hide-y"

Yeah I know they aren't pygmys I have 3. I should of had a closer look at the store injury saw the label and said I want 5 pygmys a d the guy got them while I chased my 3 year d monster around the shop :/

Oh sorry, obviously I didn't register that part of your first post! Haha, my twins are only four months, so I don't have to chase then yet, but they have definitely affected my brain!

Oh sorry, obviously I didn't register that part of your first post! Haha, my twins are only four months, so I don't have to chase then yet, but they have definitely affected my brain!

Lol babies do that! And twins omg adorable but lots of work I can imagine! Congrats on your bubbas!

Back
Top Bottom