Dwarf Plecs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
What kinds are there? I know there has got to be tons, but I am wondering if any only get to be about 2" max. If this last oto doesnt make it I will be looking into a dwarf plec instead, like a pitbull maybe. Not sure though

There's alot more, but these come to mind first, clown (thanks max :p), bristlenose, pitbull, rubberlipped, gold nugget, and a bunch that have really drab names (L134 etc)

I think most dwarves will probably get 3" (I'm not sure, but a 2" pleco just seems small)

After a quick search, I guess the pitbull pleco stays around 2-2.5"

Gold nuggets actually get pretty large, although IMO most in the hobby don't live long enough to attain adult size. I never remember the L numbers, but there's a pleco that looks very much like a nugget that's called an orange seam, that one stays smaller.

Still, IMO there isn't really a pleco that is well suited to living in a 10 gallon long term. Relative to their size, they produce a ton of waste and can easily overwhelm a smaller tank. I'd recommend 20 gallons minimum for small plecos.

I think he was talking to me max. :p I don't really care for shrimp, and my puffer will eat the snails. Probably the shrimp too lol

No. I am doing a community tank, and I think it's a 29. Either way,Alejandro is pretty happy in the 10. I am still thinking about getting him a buddy though. The last oto (whom I have named Poker Face, might as well stick with the theme lol) seems to be doing ok. But then again the others seemed fine for a while too...

Back to the OT, I might think about getting some type of dwarf plec for the 29 eventually, since it looks like it probably wont work out in the 10. I know I will have cories but as fas as I know they aren't algae eaters. But then again there are MTS in the 29 too... oh dear I have no idea anymore lol. I know I just want to get my GWCs soon. I would be getting them real soon if it wasnt for stupid paypal..... grr

pitbull pleco FTW :D you should get 2 or 3 if you're going with them cuz mine is definitely shy. we plan to get him 2 more buddies soon.

seems like you have a lot of bottom dwellers lol, i think 1 dwarf pleco is enough though, all of you peeps keep telling me they create a lot of waste, so i wouldnt add more than 1 pleco if i was going to add a lot more fish, my LFS has a clown plecos so i know ill be adding 1, as for the snails, i have chose nerite which ill be ordering 3 online ^_^ thats all my bottom dwellers for now hehe and of course, the star of the tank will either be 6 cherry barbs or a fighting fish ^_^

as for your otos, i dont really know what to say =P i know they are a very delicate fish, so i would personally stay away from them and just substitute them with another kind of algae eater

you know an otocinclus is pretty closely related to the pitbull pleco (parotocinclus jumbo) i wonder if your oto would hang out with a pitbull plec? in that case, since you only have a dwarf puffer and an oto, you could totally get away with a pair of pitbulls, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom