Dwarf rainbow question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a few from store last night. They seem happy and started eating immediately. All good.

But I see there colors are not vibrant. I have seeing them in store from a long time and they look like this. I know males have red fins and females yellow and I believe I bought a school which mostly have female but however there colors look faded.

My brother has few which looks very colorful but his rainbows are big than mine. Mine the smallest I ve seen. Is it possible they are still young and didn't developed colors yet? Do small or juveniles have less colors than adults?

Please have a look:

https://youtu.be/Eq5MbLu8Kec

I am talking about the fin edges which are usually red or yellow but on mine they looks washed out.

Colors develop over time. And they are probably still stressed a bit from the move.

Mine always look terrible in the morning when the wake up light comes on.

Lighting plays a big part in seeing the iridescence.

Colors develop over time. And they are probably still stressed a bit from the move.

Mine always look terrible in the morning when the wake up light comes on.

Lighting plays a big part in seeing the iridescence.
Thanks. They were like this always. I seeing them from a long time in store. Was in a heavy planted tank and was like ignored from main exhibition tanks. I even doubt they were fed good diet.

So you mean to say small ones are less colored than adults right? And please suggest what is the best diet to improve and enhance there colors. Thanks.

I have been feeding mine a mix of live grindal worms and new spectrum tetra pellets.

Their colors have improved over the past 4 months.

I have been feeding mine a mix of live grindal worms and new spectrum tetra pellets.

Their colors have improved over the past 4 months.
Thanks. I can't provide them live but can give freez dried and flakes and pellets too. Will spirulina helps if fed?

I have seen them nibble on the algae/spirulina pellets I feed my snails and shrimp.

I have seen them nibble on the algae/spirulina pellets I feed my snails and shrimp.
Thanks. If possible please share a picture of your rainbows. If possible of course.

Thanks a lot. I want my rainbows to be like this. Very vibrant you have. I hope I get mine to be like this. What a beautiful tank you have. I saw the video and saw a little guy. Is that a shrimp?

Yes I have Amano shrimp. I got a few pics tonight. IMG_8317.jpgIMG_8378.jpgIMG_8384.jpg

Thank you! I'm sure yours will develop color as they get older.

Last edited:
Very beautiful. Thanks a lot. And love your tank set up and position of wave maker.

Back
Top Bottom