Dying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErinF90

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help! Woke up this morning to find half my fish dead, the other half at the top. I did a 30% water change yesterday and also put in a new (not new filter but new to the tank, came from one of my existing tanks, were no problems in it just only have time for one tank). It's a 90 gallon and the filter is a marineland c-360 and also have an API nexx with 2 canisters. My nitrates are 10, ammonia 0, nitrites 0. Could it be too much filtration??

Sadly from personal experience, fish usually only hang at the top like that if there is a lack of oxygen. Do you have any air stones? Do you dose co2 for your plants?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

No I don't use co2 or have an air stone. I did a water change and turned off one of the filters and made sure the one I was using was the same as before. They were swimming around right away, I think it was totally lack of oxygen, the filter wasn't angled to the top of the tank to 'ripple' the top of the water. Thanks for the response!

No I don't use co2 or have an air stone. I did a water change and turned off one of the filters and made sure the one I was using was the same as before. They were swimming around right away, I think it was totally lack of oxygen, the filter wasn't angled to the top of the tank to 'ripple' the top of the water. Thanks for the response!

Standard question: do you have a test kit and if so what are your parameters

Wait so did you leave the filter off? I'm confused. What happened before they started exhibiting this behavior.

Standard question: do you have a test kit and if so what are your parameters

Wait so did you leave the filter off? I'm confused. What happened before they started exhibiting this behavior.

He said the parameters at the bottom of the paragraph. Some canisters like mine come with a spray bar and if you fill the water above it you will not create any surface agitation thus the lack of oxygen.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

He said the parameters at the bottom of the paragraph. Some canisters like mine come with a spray bar and if you fill the water above it you will not create any surface agitation thus the lack of oxygen.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Oh, sorry. Missed that. I accidentally left my filter off after cleaning once and they were still fine the next morning. Perhaps you were a little overstocked?

Still I'm kind of surprised even with reduced aeration that so much damage was done just overnight. Especially since so many of your fish have the ability to breath from the surface!

Is this the tank in your about me? If so it looks like you have lots of guppy's / gourami's. Is it possible that there was some fighting overnight? If one of them was killed that could lower the oxygen content of the water even more. Perhaps one of the weaker fish died and that caused a chain reaction (either oxygen or an ammonia spike) that knocked the rest of them out by morning?

Back
Top Bottom