Dying Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach103

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon tank with about 6 plants some grass and swords in it. All of them keep dying off and I can't keep any looking fresh. I had a very high ph level so I put some ph down in it but could that be the main reason the plants are dying?

Two bulbs. one is a Marineland Natural Daylight F15T8, and the other is All-Glass Aquarium T8 Fluorescent Bulb 15w 18 not sure if that helps... i have pictures of the plants because im not exactly sure what the names are other than swords for some.

img_1486253_0_ea9f20174858672f6d8558151efd10bc.jpg

img_1486253_1_1139113728aaa502cd31bc5ba511f83b.jpg

img_1486253_2_258187b74edf48b32cc3ca53598d745e.jpg

as you can see i have gravel. but i have no substrates underneath. could that be part of the problem.

I'm in a similar situation, your lighting may not be enough for your swords to grow, but enough to keep them alive. However, Amazon swords are also big root feeders. I replanted my swords in PFS with the gravel on top and then inserted Seachem Root tabs under the plants. I find it helps provide nutrients amazon swords need.

What kind of grass did you get? If it's Mondo grass, it is not an aquatic plant and while it may last a few weeks / months ... it eventually dies and rot.
Below is a link to non aquatic plants.
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

And avoid using chemicals to alter your pH. Do you have an API test master kit to test pH? I find my plants do fine in my 7.4 - 7.6 pH tank. Using chemicals could lead to pH swings ... not good. Use DriftWood or peat (will turn your water a tea color) to naturally lower pH.

For the grass im not sure i just got it from petsmart and knowing them it probably wasn't aquatic. Im going to get some substrate for under or may just go with sand. What size lights would be sufficient for the swords to grow??

as far as the ph it was off the charts high and the ph test came with a PH Down and a PH up so i figured it was safe to use.. i put in half of what they asked for just to take it slow. but ill deff try that driftwood and or peat.

zach103 said:
as you can see i have gravel. but i have no substrates underneath. could that be part of the problem.

I use plain gravel also and no substrates underneath and all my plants including swords are doing just fine. Just put a root tab under the sword and it should do fine. I use seachem tabs which do really well.

I use plain gravel also and no substrates underneath and all my plants including swords are doing just fine. Just put a root tab under the sword and it should do fine. I use seachem tabs which do really well.
+1 ... you don't have to have sand... Just Gravel
is fine for many plants ... I just like how PFS really anchors down
My sword roots. Seachem tabs are the way to go.

Ok im going to look for the tabs tomorrow. Also when im there what size lights should i be looking for?

T5HO's are one type to look for, they're smaller diameter than T8, put out more energy ... look for 6500K - 6700K color temp.

What sword do you have? I've kept Echinodorus amazonicus successfully in less than 1wpg before. The types of issues you're showing may be related to a nutrient deficiency. Are you dosing any ferts?

Identifying Aquarium Plant Deficiencies | AquaticMagic Blog

Also, I agree with the above advice about avoiding chemicals that alter your pH. They can be hard to control and ph swings can be more deadly for fish than a high PH is. Do your research-there are fish available that do well in a higher PH. Also if you can buy locally bred fish that are raised in a similar ph then you should be fine w/o altering your water parameters in any way.

Last edited:
ok just one of those lights or two??

what do you mean by dosing any ferts?

reading the link it seems like im missing the iron and nitrogen

ill try and figure out the name of the swords tomorrow. and will watch the ph chemicals

If you are not adding any ferts to your water, I'd suggest that you start. Just using a good basic fert like Flourish Comprehensive would probably give you a fairly quick improvement in plant health.

ok i picked up the Flourish Comprehensive and a new bulb.

Coleallensmom could you tell how long it took for the Flourish to kick in?

I can't tell what else you have in the tank. Vals maybe? (Whatever is in the pot is probably better off planted right in your gravel.) Before you purchase plants, make sure you know what you're buying and if it's compatable with the amount of lighting you have. Anything that does well in low lighting should be fine (anubias, java fern are both typically readily available at Petsmart and are lower light plants). The swords should be fine though. Just snip off the leaves that are brown and the remaining leaves should do better from here on out.

What bulb did you pick up?

i was at the store today and of course all it said was swords on the list. i will deff take a look at the lower lights for next time.. i have been cutting the dead leaves off..

as for the bulb its just a T8 6500k They didnt have any T5s in the size i need

Back
Top Bottom