Dying Wisteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some wisteria from the pet store on Sunday. I put it in the tank that night. It started to die yesterday, I read up about it and apparently I planted them too close together... So I took some of the plants to my other tank, but the plants in the 12g continue to die!
It's a 12g tank with 2 13w daylight bulbs. The lights are on for about 10ish hours a day. I don't use ferts, yet, and I don't use co2 either. What's wrong with what I'm doing???

Also, what wpg do you suggest for the wisteria? I have some downstairs but I need to get new lights and want to see the wattage I'll be needing (55g).

Could you post a picture? I've kept Wisteria in high light all the way down to medium/low light and it always does good.

Yeah can do! Sorry about that, I had meant to but forgot! Also thanks for that bit about the wpg!

Also my banana plant isn't too hot either....

Really they don't look too bad. I can tell the Wisteria had been planted too close together in the past because of the lack of leaves on the bottom. However they should do just fine as long as the tops stay green and start growing. The Banana Plants should also be okay, I've had some look pretty rough, then come back.

Ok, that's good to hear. I planted them all close together on Sunday, but when they all started to loose their leaves I took 3/4 of them away. I was getting very nervous because my riccia was doing better than the wisteria, which I've read that riccia can be picky sometimes with out co2... Thanks for the reassurance! It really helps the unissurance!

Your Water wisteria and Banana Lily

I got some wisteria from the pet store on Sunday. I put it in the tank that night. It started to die yesterday, I read up about it and apparently I planted them too close together... So I took some of the plants to my other tank, but the plants in the 12g continue to die!
It's a 12g tank with 2 13w daylight bulbs. The lights are on for about 10ish hours a day. I don't use ferts, yet, and I don't use co2 either. What's wrong with what I'm doing???

Also, what wpg do you suggest for the wisteria? I have some downstairs but I need to get new lights and want to see the wattage I'll be needing (55g).

Hello Aqua...

Your plants will do much better IMO, if you get them closer to the light. I have these two plants attached to floating driftwood and they grow extremely well. Just attach the plants to the driftwood with some black sewing thread.

Another thing, aquatic plants in general need a lot of pure, treated water flushed though the tank regularly. I remove and replace at least 60 percent of the water in my tanks weekly. This maintains a high concentration of minerals in the water, minerals the plants need for good growth and health.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Aqua...

Your plants will do much better IMO, if you get them closer to the light. I have these two plants attached to floating driftwood and they grow extremely well. Just attach the plants to the driftwood with some black sewing thread.

Another thing, aquatic plants in general need a lot of pure, treated water flushed though the tank regularly. I remove and replace at least 60 percent of the water in my tanks weekly. This maintains a high concentration of minerals in the water, minerals the plants need for good growth and health.

B

Thanks for the info! I will change some water later tonight. I'll also make sure that they get plenty of light!

2 to 3 watts of flourescent light per gallon of water, not incadescent. 10 hours a day

Back
Top Bottom