Easiest plants to care for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10, 15, and 29 gallon that I want to plant. I use quikrete's pool filter sand as my substrate. I don't have any driftwood in any of my tanks but thinking about getting some in the future.

Easier the plant is the better!

Two of my tanks have fluorescent lighting and the other one is incandescent lighting (which I'm pretty positive I want to replace this soon since it likes to heat up the tank).

Would I need to add anything to my substrate?

Will I need root tabs?

Do I need liquid fertilizer?

I suggest using root tabs under your heavy rooting plants and liquid ferts weekly. As for plants, you have a lot of options but it does depend a lot on your lighting. Some really low light options are java ferns, anubias, mosses. You can try to go into stem plants but your results may be hit and miss depending on how much light you are working with.

Anubis, hornwort are two if the easiest I can think of. They are so hardy, You could grow them in a toilet bowl.

OP - Hold onto your incandescent light fixture and see if you can swap out the current bulbs with spiral CFLs. They'll operate at a lower temperature and give off better lighting.

OP - Hold onto your incandescent light fixture and see if you can swap out the current bulbs with spiral CFLs. They'll operate at a lower temperature and give off better lighting.

A friend of mine said to get some mini compact fluorescent bulbs but I can't really afford to pay almost $10 dollars each (I need two). Are those cheaper? It's one of those cheap-o hoods that come in kits for some 10 gallon tanks.

The cfl bulbs that was recommended above will do fine on the ten gallon and maybe the 15. However on the bigger tanks you'll need to bump them up to the bigger ones and run two.

What Jetta said above is for sure true on finding the right mix with those lights. I've only found a very few stems I can keep alive. But I got a whole list of stuff I can if you want me to pass it your way.?

The cfl bulbs that was recommended above will do fine on the ten gallon and maybe the 15. However on the bigger tanks you'll need to bump them up to the bigger ones and run two.

What Jetta said above is for sure true on finding the right mix with those lights. I've only found a very few stems I can keep alive. But I got a whole list of stuff I can if you want me to pass it your way.?

That would be great! More information the better. :)

13 watt cfl daylight 6500
Wisteria
Amazon swords
Pennywort
Hornwort
Bronze wendtii crypt
Red wendtii crypt
Narrow leaf Ludwigia
Anubias
Moss balls
Java fern
Java moss
Dwarf lilies
Crypt pontederifolia

Under the
26 watt cfl daylight - times two bulbs for my 20 and 29 gallon tanks

Everything that was listed for the 13 plus

Jungal Val
Gold Lloydiella
Duckweed
Water lettuce
Narrow leaf chainswords
Willow hydro
Red tiger lotus
Red melon sword
Kleiner bar swords
Hygrophilia corymbosa
Microswords
Riccia I think that's how it's spelled

I'm currently working on scarlet temple and Limnophila aromatica" hippuroides". Both of these plants melted back to almost nothing. After giving them a huge trim job they both have new growth. I'm hoping the scarlet temple makes it cause its my favorite plant so far.

I hope this is some help to you. Also wanted to tell you almost all plants I got from http://www.peabodysparadise.com/shop/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom