Easy plants for a newbie ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aharcara

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting my 1st tank this weekend (yeah!)...a used 20 gallon. I'm looking for advice on some easy live plants for it. I don't want to have to deal with CO2 and fertilizers, etc.

Thanks!

You'll probably want to stick to low light plants, especially if using the stock lighting that came with the aquarium. Java Ferns, Java Moss, Anubias, and most Crypts.

Jungle Vals would probably get a bit big for a 20 gallon, but some of the smaller varieties might not be too bad depending on the amount of light.

How many plants are appropriate for a 20 gal tank? I don't know the actual dimensions yet.

Thanks!

I agree! Just leave some swimming room. :) You'll be able to see how many plants are good for your tank once you start planting them.

I would stick to Java fern, Java moss, Anacharis, and Anubias. Some Cryptocorynes would work as well. I'm assuming you'll be using the stock light that comes with the tank. In that case you'll have very low lighting. I wouldn't even try Vallisneria with that lighting, as they'll most likely die.

If you upgrade the lighting, you will have more plant options.

I used the following as a start with 2WPG:

ceratopteris thalictroides (indian fern)
elodea densa

And they grow!

Back
Top Bottom