Easy plants to maintain for a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone.

I have a 20 gallon long tank (30"x13"x13") that I would like to add a few small, simple plants to. I have black gravel and don't really want to get new substrate, so are there any plants I can get?

I currently have 6 silk plants, and lets just say you can tell they are fake :)

I have a Aquaeon Power Filter 30 (200gph).
Temp is 76
P.h is about 7.6-8

So can you recommend easy plants and give basic care instructions? Also, I don't have any good fish stores in my area, so do you know of a good place I can buy the plants online?

I'm not really sure what that means, but it is a 20 watt flourecent light. Do you need more info than that?

20W of florescent light over a 20g tank ought to be sufficient for some low light plants.

I would start with some anubias and java moss, maybe some java ferns. They require almost 0 maintenance.

Checkout this site:

PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource

You can sort the plant list by lighting requirements. Anything under low light is a potential option for your tank.

Yep. You could probably do some anacharis as well, IME it grows well in low light.

+1 for anacharis.
I have a 29 gallon low light tank and the anacharis is growing like crazy. I did change my bulb for the flora-gro version (better light spectrum) and started adding Seachem Flourish. The anacharis has grown so much that I'm going to stop using the Flourish for awhile. As soon as I get enough money for good lighting on my 60 gallon tank I plan to use the 29 gallon as an anacharis farm (will never have to buy anacharis again:)).

I actually had some anacharis that was in a 10g with a 15w T-8 10,000k bulb... well, here's what happened with it...

img_1242345_0_aa83183dc3dfbb083febde4dfbd20790.jpg

Back
Top Bottom