Easy question I hope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jconyers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New here, but a stalker for months. I just re-set up a 65 g. tank. All is/ was going well, Africans. So ph is 8.0,ammonia is .25, nitrites 0 and nitrates 10. It has done a great live cycle, lots of water changes. I should have read first. Question is if anyone has a thought. I had a high algae bloom in the past day. I don't like adding chemicals to the tank so what may I have done wrong? No direct sunlight btw. Thanks for any input and apologies for spelling and grammar Midwest allergies are a .......

Thank you. Yea I guess I do leave the lights on all day. It's in the basement so makes for cool lighting. Guess that isn't to bright but did not think about it. Feeding is every three days no more. Thx so much.

Could it really relate to feeding? I feed about every three days and drop by drop for a minute. I trust your thoughts, it just hit so quick.

Over feeding will load your water with unneeded nutrients, which algae would love to have. Doesn't sound like over feeding though, I feed mine everyday and don't have a problem. I'd guess its the lights then. Get a timer and set them for 8 hours a day, or turn them on while your home and off while your at work or sleeping.

Good stuff friend, thanks. I've been using this for the three kids, we test nightly and chart everything together by spreadsheet. I never would have guessed the lights but it makes sense. Thx and cheers.

Good stuff friend, thanks. I've been using this for the three kids, we test nightly and chart everything together by spreadsheet. I never would have guessed the lights but it makes sense. Thx and cheers.

I use a timer for my lights, about every lfs or big box store carries them, takes the human error out of the day light cycle for your fish lol. They run about 20-30 usd.

Thanks again all. I'm just surprised that it was the lights. I had a rule put to me from the wife. As long as it doesn't look bad. Well the algae didn't help but that's on me. Then11 year old and I scrubbed it out tonight. Looking much better. Sooooo I have blue led lights under the gravel. Same deal with lights? Any thoughts are appreciated so much.

Poor thinking on my part. The numbers are still perfect. I never thought that an artificial light could do that. Like you can not get a tan or sunburn through a window.

Timers at Home Depot, lowes, or true value like stores for $5. It's a must have item.

Thx all. I did set up a timer the other night. It's in a finished basement so the timer is on the blue LEDs, the lids I can turn on when needed. Water tonight after a good algae scrubbing last week is: ph 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite,0 and nitrate 20. I feel great with those numbers, I'll watch the nitrate for a bit. So if anyone has any input. Seeing that lighting created my algae issue and now there is not much light at all. Is artificial or natural light beneficial to the health of the fish? Is there a balance that I need to be looking for? Thanks for any input.

From what I understand fish don't care much about lighting, the like a night and a day like any pet.
I try to keep my nitrates under 20, because if you need to get them down, you can get to 5 with 2 water 50% changes. At 40, or 60 it takes 3-4 50% water changes to get to 5, and I believe, (do correct me if I am wrong) that the higher Nitrates are, the faster they climb. Example you can get from 50 to 60 faster than 5 to 10.

Back
Top Bottom