Eco bio stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carole2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not having much luck with advice on the Eco bio stones!
Hasn't anyone used one before. Hope I'm looking in the right place - if not, will someone let me know please. ( I'm still a bit of a newby!)

Thanks. Nobody in the UK has much info on the stones. I have read up on them but would have liked some first hand advice - they are quite expensive!

Wow, they are so expensive! I would think if your tank is properly cycled, these are a waste of money. Are you having problems with your water?

EcoBio-Stones

Not really, I suppose, although I do have to do weekly water changes, but my present tank is just 35 litre and it's not that I have much in it.
I was thinking the stone may be useful when I upgrade to a 60 litre tank. Maybe it would quicken the cycle and make it better for the fish when I introduce them to the new one.

Can you use your existing filter material to seed your new filter? That would be your best bet. BTW, we pretty much all have to do weekly water changes no matter what. ;)

Yes, I expect so, but how do I do that. I'll need it my existing tank won't I. The fish will suffer if I take it out, or do I just squeeze the filter sponge on the new one. Excuse my ignorance, and don't worry, I won't do anything until I'm sure it's right.

What kind of filter is your established one? Is there room to stuff another cartridge in it, or extra floss?

It's a Classical powerbio 200 internal filter that came with the tank, an Arcadia Arc 35 litre. It has a carbon cartridge and filter media, but is very compact and a small unit.

Can you take some of the media out of it and put it in the new? Not all, just enough to get the bacteria going.

Do you mean to cut a bit off the sponge, or take some of the gritty stuff out of the bag, or both. Where do I put it then - in a net bag or somehow in the new filter.
Thanks for being so patient with me, by the way!!

Yes if you can do both it will help. How ever you can get some of the old stuff in the new filter will help. You're welcome BTW. :)

Thanks for that. Can I contact you again in the future, for more advice? I'll leave you in peace for now - it's after midnight here in Wales - don't know what time it is with you!

If you have room you can stuff either a new full filter at the bottom of your current filter or cut a chunk off (or just use a piece of filter pad) and stuff it at the bottom or in a side of your current filter. Then you can take that out and place it in the new filter for the 60L tank.

Oh, ok. Thanks. I want to get everything straight in my head first so I know what I'm doing when I go ahead with the change. Would it be ok to use new sand in the upgrade and maybe put some of the old sand in a net or something in the new tank? The old sand is quite dirty now and wouldn't look good!

Back
Top Bottom