ecoli water warning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madmadison

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our city is under a boil water advisory, and iam worried about water changes can this make fish sick if I don't boil it first ?!!!

Where are you? I've seen this come up before, Google will get you to the older thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your aquarium is a festering pool of bacteria and grossness. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about fish getting sick from it. The only studies I've ever been able to find that have anything to do with fish and ecoli is done to detect the presence of ecoli in the meat of fish and ignore the health of the fish.

If you're really worried about it store the water in a trash can with a UV sterilizer rate to kill bacteria. Either that or use a high dosage of bleach, allow to gas off, and use a 5x dose of prime.

from Winnipeg and I do use a uv light in my 120g so hopes it will be good ty for your advise

from Winnipeg and I do use a uv light in my 120g so hopes it will be good ty for your advise
A uv sterilizer or a uv light? Those are 2 very different things. Plus, the sterilizer needs to be rated to kill bacteria. Many of them are only good for algae.

Back
Top Bottom