Eheim External Filter Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickb144

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Please can anyone help. I have a 30 gallon tank with 4 catfish and 4 male guppies at the moment. I will be gradually adding more fish over the next month. Maybe few neon tetra, mollies and barbs. I bought a Eheim Professional 3 250 external filter. This is first time I have used an external filter with the various media included. Please can anyone shed some light on how often I should be removing and cleaning the media. It includes the following:

EHEIM MECH PRO ( bottom container)
EHEIM SUBSTRATE PRO (middle container)
WHITE FILTER FLEECE (in screened cover with substrate)
BLUE Pre Filter (top)

Also how often will these need to be replaced with new and should I only replace half (mech and substate pro) to keep bacteria in filter.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Eheim too, although a different model. The only thing I change out every month or two is the white filter polishing pad, everything else I just rinse in old tank water during a water change every month or so.

Thanks for your advice librarygirl. Do you leave the old water in your filter canister when you clean/replace your filter media or do you empty canister ? Sorry if this is obvious but like i said this is first time i had one of these filters. Really happy with it so far. Very good quality. Thanks.

I do the same with mine, remember to dechlorinate the water you put into the canister if replacing it. You might want to get a hose cleaning kit, might need to clean your hoses every few months - or just buy some new hose, like I do - its really cheap.

Back
Top Bottom