EI or PPS-Pro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EI vs PPS-Pro

• Total voters

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am trying to decide on a method for fertilizing a low-tech, medium light, lightly to moderately planted fancy goldfish tank I will be setting up in the future. I have decided I want to use ei or pps-pro, and I would like to know the basic concept of both methods, and which is more ideal for my situation. Thank you for all of your feedback in advance!

Go with ei but scale the dosage down to once a week and a 1/4 or a 1/3 of ei normal dose.

Ei assume high tech tanks.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

PPS-Pro here, just find it easier to start with a daily regimen, and tweak things gradually to accommodate the tanks needs.

Two things to mention.

In a low tech, medium light tank with goldfish, you will likely not need to macro portion of either PPS or EI. I've always preferred EI for its simplicity and effectiveness myself, but there are plenty on this forum that swear by it. This is a much longer conversation that's been had several times on this forum. I highly recommend you dig up a few threads, as there's a lot of information on them.

Two, goldfish can sometimes not play well with plants. Do some research on the topic and keep it in mind as you're going forward. This isn't to say goldfish aren't compatible with plants, but you'll likely need to take certain precautions.

PPS-Pro here, just find it easier to start with a daily regimen, and tweak things gradually to accommodate the tanks needs.

P.S.- I use the "Rivercats Method"! 3 bottles, one for potassium sulfate, and phosphate. The second for potassium nitrate so I can dose according to test levels in my tank. And lastly, Micro's(CSM+B) in bottle 3.

I also find pps-pro easy and effective. It's well rounded and best of all, cheap! I just dose it vanilla... no mods

Here's basic info:
http://blog.greenleafaquariums.com/2013/02/28/our-new-pps-pro-fertilizer-pack-just-mix-dose/

I bought my digital gram scale on Amazon for less than 10$. I add 5ml of excel to every 250ml of the micro solution to help prevent mold. I also bought a 100 pack of graduated pipettes for dosing my nano tanks. They're also cheap on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom