Electric blue jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattckf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My ebjd is almost 2 years old and 6" in length. He ate like a pig but stopped eating about 1 month ago. He has also become skittish. No disease symptoms shown at all other than his ever shriking belly. I am frustrated with him. I don't know what else to do. Do any of you have similar experience?

I don't have any experience with EBJDs but from what I know the fact that you've had him for 2 years and he's 6" is pretty amazing. A lot of people can't keep em for very long at all because they are a very weak bloodline from all the linebreeding to make them. They've been known to just die unexpectedly for no apparent reason. I hope someone can help you save him though EBJD is one of my favorite fish

EBJD

I recently became intrigued with EBJD and started a 40g tank where I currently have 3 small EBJD's. From what I can recall from all the reading I did before deciding to start an EBJD tank, the symptoms you describe (fish suddenly not eating, skittish, etc...) are not good signs.

Many of the people who stated that their EBJD's began displaying those symptoms almost always ended up losing their fish a few weeks later. All you can probably do at this point is to make sure that you maintain the water quality as good as possible and feed him the best food you can find. Unfortunately, in the end as previously stated the bloodline in these fish seem like its not very good due to inbreeding and bad genetics and they end up dying suddenly for no apparent reason.

I purchased my 3 EBJD's at $25 a piece with the knowledge that they are very delicate fish but I see it as a challenge to see how long I can keep such beautiful fish alive. You are blessed to have been able to keep your EBJD alive and growing for two years and should not be discouraged in purchasing another one if you lose him. Good luck.

I have never had much luck with ebjd's either. Oldest one I had lived for a little under 2 years. I managed to get my hands on 2 genotype jacks, both from different parents, that I'm am hoping I can get to spawn and produce some ebjd fry.

Back
Top Bottom