Elephantnose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
Happy 4th everyone.

I bought an Elephantnose mormyrid earlier today, and placed him in my 30 gal. The tank is occupied by four dalmatian mollies and a large snail, decent enough tankmates.

The tank is artificially planted (hoping to change that soon), but I'm going to rearrange things so he has a lot of cover.

Seems like a wicked fish, what with his sonar ability and that. :brows:

I was just wondering if anyone has or had one of these things, and any advice they can give me. I don't normally purchase from Petco, but it looked healthy enough, save for an odd marking on one side, near its eye. It's a white-yellowish ring, but the rest is jet black like his skin tone. Apparently these are very touchy to certain medicines, so I'm gonna hold on the Pimafix until it becomes an actual problem, and check my parameters.

I'm sorry to say but your tank is too small to house even a single elephantnose. They can grow up to 9 inches and IMO should be kept in a an aquarium that holds at least 55 gallons of water.

Best kept in a species tank. They are shy feeders and most other fish would eat all of the poor fish's food.

Back
Top Bottom