emerald crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently acquired an emerald crab. Right away he started eating HA and has been active. Is this an 1 crab in a tank type of crab or can I add a one or two more. Have a 46g.

i have four in my tank. i love them. one of them has made a chill spot in the branches of my octospawn and my torch.tank size is 54gallon corner

With 46g you should be able to have 1 or 2 more depending on how much LR you have. They won't kill each other though to answer your question. Right now I have 2 in my 75 and I could easily have more.

Well that's great news! I have about 85 lbs of LR. I can't wait to get another one!

Don't mean to highjack the thread but has any one experienced these crabs eating corals or other inhabitants? I want to add a few in my 75 for algae but my LFS says he doesn't trust them from having them nip and eat his corals in the past.

They are safe...shoot they don't even look at dead corals...........but I've seend them eat dead fish that's about it.

I've never had a problem with them nipping coral (that I've seen). I actually saw one perched at the base of one of my kenya trees one night. Not a mark on it. As far as eating things, they're scavengers. Like most of your CUC if something dies they're gonna eat it, its what they do.

I have heard multiple stories on here of them causing problems... Anything with claws can cause problems.

The only thing I can tell you with multiples is to make sure you don't wind up with multiple males. They will fight like crazy.

I had one that use to like digging stuff up from between my polyps...would never get off my polyps causing them to stay closed most the time

I have had a few damsel fish keep my emerald crabs in hiding most of the time. That turns out to be just fine as they don't get the opportunity to fiddle with the coral...even if they wanted too. They pick on the rock continuously.

I have an emerald crab in two of my tanks, never had an issue with them messing with anything. Anytime you put anything in your tank, you have a chance of it being a pain. Just like humans there area few odd balls out there :p I think its worth the chance, since the risk is low though that it'll mess with your coral.

I have one and all he does is eat on the LR. Doesn't appear to cause any problems but then I have only had him about a week lol

I've heard of some people having problems with them but I haven't. They tend to pick at algae on the rocks. I wish they ate xenia, but they just pick at the algae.

Back
Top Bottom