Emerald Mithrax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
This was a strange situation for me, but wife had left me a voicemail while I was at work and message said one of our emerald crabs had died. No big deal, but I get home and look in the tank and I see one at first and a little bit later see another. The only thing unusual was that the second one I noticed seemed very large. Called wife and asked for clarification. She says yes, one died and it's in the garbage can. I looked and it was. Look back in tank and see both crabs. One is what I expected from the two we received with the cleanup crew but the other was VERY large in comparison. I'm certain it's a hitchhiker emeral mithrax (as opposed to gorilla or stone crab) but I'm worried it might decide it likes clam mantle or coral polyps or anemone thingies. Need I worry?

All crabs molt and probably what it was. When they molt their skin texture becomes more vulnerable so they tend to hide during this time and when they reappear their new "armor" is shiny and new with a slightly larger fit ;)

No. For sure the other one died. The cleanup pack only had two and they've always been similarly sized. The one my wife pulled out was a full carcass (as opposed to a skin). I'm just wondering if mithrax had any reputation for tearing things up. I don't have any spare algae in the tank, so I'm not sure what the cleanup crew is going to eat. Will the emeralds start working on things they're not supposed to eat if their normal supply comes up short?

ive only had my emeralds for about a month and they have not touched anything but hair algae.... well and the big guy has been known to cut my hitchhiker feather dusters up, they always grow right back ... more of a hair cut. i just put 2 clips with dried seaweed in. one at the top for the fish and snails. one at the bottom for the crabs.

about molting. an invert will dramaticly grow in size after it molts. in all likelihood its the same crab.

-Brad

See if you can get a picture of the crab. Are you 100% sure it is an emerald crab? Look closely at it and see if the legs look hairy at all. A picture would be great if you can get one.

There were times when I thought it was the real thing only to find out it was a molt. Hopefully it was just a molt.

See if you can get a picture of the crab. Are you 100% sure it is an emerald crab? Look closely at it and see if the legs look hairy at all. A picture would be great if you can get one.

Yes. Hairy legs. No black tips on the claws though and solid medium green, so no reason to believe it's another type. No red eyes either.

Back
Top Bottom