Emperor angel with HLLE (head and lateral line erosion)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe24wr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I have a 5 1/2 inch emperor angel that is in the process of changing colors. It started to develop HLLE after being in my tank for 2 weeks. It eats everything and is fat but it started loosing all it's color on it's face, I started adding vitamins to the mysis I was feeding it and it stopped spreading the. 2 days the weekend my ammonia went up a little which caused him to breathe fast and get stressed. But the thing that made it get worse was that I wasn't home and someone just fed the tank with marine pellets. And now his whole face except for around his mouth is pink and a little beed has eroded along his lateral line. Should giving veggie clips and mysis that will have vitamins added to it help reverse his HLLE?

There is no real reason as to the cause of HLLE. Some say that increasing vitamins will lover the effects. What I think it has to do with is a fish reacting to bad water quality. For instance. I purchased a yellow tang from a guy that had him in a 20gal!! He was stressed and has hlle. I put him in my 60 gal so he could relax and have more room to swim till I find somebody to take him. Any way long story short his tank was very bad,,, mine is very good lol and the hlle is already going away. I am feeding him algae sheets every day

Mines in a 150 and when I put him in the water quality wasn't the best but now it's crystal clear with 8.2 amm and everything else at 0 and salinity is 1.021

8.2 ammonia? If so you need to get that fish out of there. That much ammonia will kill him. Did you cycle your tank?

Yes I do run carbon, and actually it wasn't that bad until I put carbon back in the system, can the dust really cause it?

Wow that's a really interesting and surprising article.

As great as this site is and there are a lot of experienced people on here that are full of help and wisdom, it's always great when someone can show scientific evidence in support of their advice. You can't really argue with a well designed experiment.

I hope ur angel gets better!

Here's a pic it has stopped here for now

Attachments

• image-266759428.jpg
    image-266759428.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 255
Back
Top Bottom