Empty canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got an empty canister filter I bought used cheap. It's got three separate plastic meshlike stackable containers.

What should I put in it? I don't know much about canisters, never used one and I'm not sure what to go with.

It would help if you can tell us what brand of filter you have, what size tank it will be going onto, and what kind of fish you keep. The neat thing about cannisters is that you can customize what you put in, based on your needs...which many people here can help you with, if we know what you have.

I got a 46 gal reef tank. I think I got high nutrient levels. Got some purple alge that seems to trap little bubbles. I've had the tank for over a year and I can't seem to get things right. I'm thinkin a canister might be what I need. The canister is a fluval 303.

Got a 20 gal sump, the return of that gives quite a bit of flow. Then I got two 250 gph powerheads blowing into that current. Sump holds heater and seaclone 100 skimmer with a coustomazation airline hooked to a wood airstone inside. I also got a refuge area with a 6" sand bed and a bunch of grape plant algae. 80 lbs of LR, two 150w MH. I also made a PVC contraption that holds de-nitrate.

I'm thinkin carbon, something for phosphates, and I'm not sure what else actually.

suck up the algae when you do a PWC then try moving your powerheads around,you may have low flow in the algae area.

Back
Top Bottom