Endler behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohdds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post, TIA for any information. I have a 24g Cube with 4 neon tetras, 5 male orange endlers, 1 neon dwarf gourami, 2 small type corys, 1 bamboo shrimp, 1 vampire shrimp, and 2 male fancy tail guppies. Tank has been very stable with these inhabitants for several months now. Question is: one of the fancy tails is colored very much like the orange endlers and is a recent addition. One of the endlers (they are small, about 1/2 inch long, used to bug and nip at the dwarf gourami. When the fancy tail was added, the "bully" endler no longer bugs the gourami, but all five of the endlers appear to "school" around the orange cololred fancy tail guppy, which is about 2.5 times the size of the endlers. The endlers do not seem to nip at the guppy but the guppy seems to be agitated by the schooling behaviour of the endlers. I realize that the endlers are closely related to guppies but the guppy really seems to be agitated and tries to get away from his schooling buddies. Am I misinterpreting this behaviour or will the stress shorten the life and quality of life of the new guppy? Also, I though endlers were supposed to be very peaceful. Why would the one endler pick on the gourami that could probably swallow it? Do I just have a particularly wimpy gourami? FYI, the gourami appears healthy but used to run away from the small endler (until the endler found it was more fun to school with his buddies).

well, welcome to aquarium advice.

Sounds like the endlers and guppies are just adjusting. They might calm down, if not i would consider moving the endlers. They can live in smaller tanks, like 5gal tanks because they are so small.

I never noticed any bullying behaviour when I had endlers, but I suppose it's possible.

One thing to remember: endlers and guppies will interbreed. Maybe they're trying to assimilate the guppy into the collective? ;)

Endlers are...ummm...how do I say this? They are amorous little creatures. I had some that damn near tortured a platy to death. I think they thought he was a female endler.

I wouldn't say that they are aggressive, but they certainly are lively. I might consider putting them by themselves if you have the resources. And definitely be careful of the interbreeding.

Back
Top Bottom