Enough lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently own a Marineland 36" led on my 55g which is 24" tall. Is this sufficient light to support low light plants?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes although the corners might be dark because it isn't as long as the tank, unless you support it up on stands

Forgot to mention the tank is 30" long. I purchased a 24" instead of 36". Today I went to my LFS and purchased an Aquatop LED. Ohh my goodness it's a whole different world of light! Also bought an amazon sword and java fern. Here's my new aquascape. Never have had real plants in 6 years. Before and after. Wish me luck ;)

Attachments

• 1430104312305.jpg
    1430104312305.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 1430104338442.jpg
    1430104338442.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 74
Just want to give you heads up so you don't freak.. amazon swords tend to die off when transplanted from those store bought tubes as they transition from emersed to submerged leaves so don't freak out.. Also swords require root tabs if you don't have a good nutrient rich substrate as they are heavy root feeders and they aren't really a low light plant..

I don't see the sword in your picture ? I do see some long green stem plants though in the background.. I haven't had luck with those in all my tanks.. they tend to die off..

If you want more beautiful low light plants, I suggest you get some Anubias Barteri or however its spelled.. Stands for Anubias broad leaf... they are beautiful and all my tanks have them.. they are also low light plants.. don't bury the main stem though..

I also suggest you go to petsmart and get alternanthera reineckii at their plant section.. They are in little baggies with gel in them.. Its a red stem plant that stays red in low or high light.. Its the only red plant that does this...

Btw you said you have a 55g tank that's 30 inches long ? What are the dimentions on the tank ? Height, length, and depth (front to back) ive never heard a 55g being 30 inches long. I think you have a 50g high tank.. Those are 30 inches long, 12 inches deep and 30 inches tall

Here is a picture of some of my alternanthera reineckii in my 10g bowfront

img_3213295_0_3b8def1d6691088a085ec398b151c89e.jpg

Just want to give you heads up so you don't freak.. amazon swords tend to die off when transplanted from those store bought tubes as they transition from emersed to submerged leaves so don't freak out.. Also swords require root tabs if you don't have a good nutrient rich substrate as they are heavy root feeders and they aren't really a low light plant..

I don't see the sword in your picture ? I do see some long green stem plants though in the background.. I haven't had luck with those in all my tanks.. they tend to die off..

If you want more beautiful low light plants, I suggest you get some Anubias Barteri or however its spelled.. Stands for Anubias broad leaf... they are beautiful and all my tanks have them.. they are also low light plants.. don't bury the main stem though..

I also suggest you go to petsmart and get alternanthera reineckii at their plant section.. They are in little baggies with gel in them.. Its a red stem plant that stays red in low or high light.. Its the only red plant that does this...

Btw you said you have a 55g tank that's 30 inches long ? What are the dimentions on the tank ? Height, length, and depth (front to back) ive never heard a 55g being 30 inches long. I think you have a 50g high tank.. Those are 30 inches long, 12 inches deep and 30 inches tall

Here is a picture of some of my alternanthera reineckii in my 10g bowfront

img_3213326_0_3b8def1d6691088a085ec398b151c89e.jpg

The sword or kleiner bar is in the back right in the tank. I go to a awesome lfs and all their plants are submerged. I also purchased a aquatop led sooo bright . I have an anubias on the left side of tank and an Anacharis behind it. I did all this in the past 3 days. My tank looks so bare. My fish are beside themselves I feel bad for them:(

Attachments

• 1430152103572.jpg
    1430152103572.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 1430152120785.jpg
    1430152120785.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 57
Ohh and it's a column style tank 30" long, 18" wide, 24" tall

Back
Top Bottom