Enough time to get new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio8

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got 2 GloFish Tetras (3 days ago) and am wanting to get them friends because they are schooling fish. However, I am leaving on a 3 week long trip starting in the beginning of August. The current tetras are doing well, although, they have not eaten. I think this is normal and they have just not yet learned when feeding time is. Do I have enough time to a couple of new tetras? If something goes wrong I’m not sure if I’ll have time to fix it. Should I hope for the best and pick up some more tetras so the current ones won’t be as lonely? One of the tetras seems to hide a lot but the other seems outgoing. What should I do?

What’s your plan while you’re gone? Set an auto-feeder and walk away? Or is someone going to look after the tank for you?

If you’ve got someone to look after the tank, I don’t see why not to get a few more to make them happier.

If you’re just setting an auto-feeder and walking away, I’d personally wait to add more fish u til you’re around long enough to watch the tank stabilize

I would add to the same thought from ColdKoi, that the person watching the fish would need to know about and okay with / dealing with removing a dead fish, going to get medication / possibly treating for an illness since you wouldn't be there.

And if they are watching the fish I would get some weekly pill keepers or zip bags and put exactly how much to feed each day in the container, with instructions to not double feed if they miss a day.

People over feed fish and they die as a result without usual pwc's.

Thanks but I will be using an automatic feeder. Guess my tetras will have to wait a while for new friends!

Back
Top Bottom