Epsom for upping hardness, downing constipation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ae123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all.

A few water changes ago, I added a bit of epsom salt--I think about 1 1/2 teaspoons. One of my platys had a thick green, I think from the peas, bowl movement. This was good because she has tended to have stringy poo most of the time.

My tank is freshwater, mostly. Hardness--13gh, 6kh; ph approx. 7.8 straight from the tap. I'm next to nill in the "knowlege of water chemistry" department. But I have a theory, and my theory(which is mine) is as follows: could the addition of epsom, magnessium sulphate, which has been recommended to me before as a general additive in raising hardness to replicate more natuaral conditions, be a missing link in restoring regularity to those fish in may care with constipation issues. As in: my tap water is perhaps lacking this thing which would restore a more normal environment condusive to better digestional health.

Anybody can confirm or disconfirm?

General hardness is a measure if magnesium and calcium ions in your water. Depending on the fish species, their natural conditions range from high to low GH. However, most fish will adapt to common levels found in tap water. Your GH being 13dKH, is about average, and is perfectly fine for platys. Constipation usually occurs with an improper diet or too much food(ie. high protein diet for herbivores, or just overfeeding). GH affects osmoregulation in fish, but not bowel movements, as far as I know. And since your GH is in a normal range, I doubt that is a problem. So if you're worried about bowel movements, a balanced diet is what you need.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom