evidence of test degrading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok,

I have feather dusters, sponges, and some hard corals that have all propogated from the new live rock i got. my test kit is two years old and no matter how many water changes i do it gives the same results of nitrates being at 20. I am wondering whether the test kit is inaccurate because one week i did two 25% water changes and the test kit gave the same results. im thinking i should go to the lfs and get the water tested there.

The reagents in kits can degrade over time. I would take the water to the LFS for testing and pick up some new kits. Also, try testing something else...like your water change water or freshwater to see if you get different results. That's why I like Seachem kits, they come with a standard reagent for verifying kit accuracy.

I am willing to guess the water is testing is fine. YOu have a good bit of livestock in that tank. you have cannister filters competing with liverock......your water changes are just maintaining the status quo.

well, that is great news! I had thought of another thing, testing your testkit by testing some freshly mixed water. At least you found out.

Back
Top Bottom