Experience with Chili Cactus Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm in the market for a Chili Cactus Coral (Nephthyigorgia sp). I've found little bits and pieces of info but I was hoping to find someone who may have had some experience with these (and maybe even a good picture of one).

I know I meet the lighting requirements of this coral but I'm not able to find out if they are aggressive or not. What is their growth rate? Etc.

I think I might have found a good one at marinecenter.com.

Suggestions?

As I understand, These dont need light because they are red. No photosyntesis. I believe they require shade, and constant feedings of Phyto.

Had one, lost it. It needs to be in the shade, like on the underside of a rock and it needs to be fed.

IME this coral should be left to either highly dedicated aquarists who can give this particular coral the attention it needs or better yet, left in the ocean where colony numbers won't be diminished due to aquarium mortality and replacement. Lighting should be irrelevant because this coral lacks symbiotic zooxanthellae; however, their placement is oftentimes upon silty substrates. This should allow for such an assumption that a non-skimmed tank with heavy feedings of phytoplankton, cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, etc. would allow for some success.

I believe this coral will be more trouble than it`s worth Msbeanctr. Heavy doses of phyto and oyster eggs will be needed causing water quality problems. As James said it should be left to the experts only. Not saying you are not but it will require alot of attention and maintance. JMO

Not the answers that I wanted but I am glad to have the info. I believe I'll pass on this coral. Thank you all very much for the input!

Back
Top Bottom