Extra filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have my tank running with an emperor 400 filter. In the box of supplies I got with the tank, I see there's another HOB filter, an AquaClear. Do you suggest running both in my 90 gallon tank? If so, the only thing with the AquaClear is a filter sponge, do I need to buy other media of is if I to just run with the sponge to get more solids? Any advice is appreciated!

Two HOB filters are better then one.you don't need the charcoal. Just bio max or seachem matrix.

With the 2nd filter should I just use 2 foam filter media inserts and skip the chemical and bio inserts since the other filter has that?

Also, I've been advised on this site to not throw out filter media, just wash in tank water and reuse. One question, doesn't the carbon go "bad" after a month or so?

I dont think its a matter of carbon going 'bad', it just stops working & really isnt necessary unless you are trying to remove meds/something similar. I have read before old carbon can leach bad stuff into a tank but i dont know if this is fact or a myth & i have never seen any evidence either indicating it does or doesnt. Simplest solution is not to use it unless necessary. The foam & bio inserts are fine to use.

Ok dumb question but for the Emperor 400 I haven't seen "just" the filter, the filter media comes attached to a plastic insert with carbon. Is this just my LFS, can I get just the cotton filter media someplace or do they all come with carbon attached?

Not a dumb question! I have two 400's- one still has the filters it came with (that have the carbon in them) & the other i didnt bother using the original filters at all & used foam/sponge inserts instead. I am going to get around to replacing the original filters (they have been in there for mths) with sponges/foam once things calm down bit (changed around some substrate & got a bit of a mini cycle right now). Ill probably switch 1 next mth & the other the month after. Im also going to try cutting off the carbon part & keep the plastic part (black piece) but i havent attempted this yet so i dont know if this will work!

I use the big foam inserts for the aquaclear filters (i call them sponges because thats what they really are!). I use the 70 size because you can cut them to fit where ever you want to use them. Ive got them all over the place including pieces ive cut holes in to fit over the filter intakes to keep my 1 girl from hurting herself (doesnt look great but serves a purpose!). I am experimenting with using polyfill stuffed in pieces of pantyhose right now too-the verdict is still out on this one but i know alot of people use it in filters as well! :)

Back
Top Bottom