Fancy Goldfish: 40 Breeder vs. Standard 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which would you choose?

Votes: 4 57.1%

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't seem to decide on which tank to get for my fancy goldfish. A 40 breeder would fit into the space I want to put it more comfortably, but a 55 will fit as well. Also, the 40 breeder seems to offer a bit more side to side swimming room and surface area. If I go with the 40 I'll probably only get 3 fancies total, but with the 55 I'd get 4. Also, I have a 55 and it's a bit skinny. I thought the fish might appreciate the extra depth. What do you guys think?

IMO, I would go with the 55, purely for more water volume. I think with such a messy fish, they would appreciate more water than more activity, in contrast to say an incredibly active fish with a lower bioload.

Hope that helped/made sense!

Go for more water volume. Fancies actually dont appreciate extra depth- the pressure from deeper water actually can make it more difficult for them to swim and can aggravate buoyancy issues. Some breeds are much more affected than others. You can manage four as long as you stay on top of your big water changes. :)

By depth do you guys mean how deep it is from the top? If so, the 55 is deeper. The 40 gallon I was looking at is 36 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 16 inches tall. The 55 is 48 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 21 inches tall. I still tend to think that more water volume is better as long as the tank isn't super tall like some I was looking at.

I would go with a 40b because it has a larger foot print. Water volume doesn't mean everything. A 40b offers more swimming room. There isn't a need for more water volume as long as you do proper maintenance on the tank (water changes, gravel vacuuming, filter cleaning etc). A 40b will prove to be cheaper and more spacious.

Personally, I prefer a 40b.
You might also look into a 50g (36x18x19).

Back
Top Bottom