Fancy goldfish and guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazyhermitcrab

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently, I have a pond housing fancy goldfish, shubunkins, comets, bettas, and endlers. There are 5 fancy goldfish: black moor, 4 fantails.
In winter I heard that fancies must come inside. Would it be possible to put the endlers, bettas, and fancies in a 55 gallon. They never fight or bite each other.
And no one say "They are cold water and guppies are tropical." Because the tank will just be room temp.

Will the fancies be able to survuve outside, the pond is 3 ft deep.
Month Temp. (min) Temp. (max) Temp. (avg)
January -0°F 72°F 34°F
February 9°F 72°F 34°F
March 10°F 79°F 40°F
April 28°F 90°F 51°F
May 37°F 91°F 60°F
June 45°F 99°F 70°F
July 52°F 99°F 75°F
August 54°F 99°F 74°F
September 41°F 91°F 67°F
October 28°F 82°F 56°F
November 21°F 73°F 48°F
December 14°F 70°F 38°F

Overwintering fancies outdoors may be possible depending on your location and pond depth. I would contact AA member jlk on this.
I suppose if you provide adequate water changes and filtration then the 55g idea should be fine.

I posted before I saw the depth and temp details. Those are some wild temp variations! Does the pond freeze over? At minimum a small floating heater in place just to keep the gas exchange would be good. If you were to overwinter indoors I suppose OCT-MAR would work. I think the important thing is to allow a day or more for the temperature transition. For example, when bringing them indoors, bring them in with the cold pond water and do some water changes with extra pond water as things gradually warm up to room temp.

I posted before I saw the depth and temp details. Those are some wild temp variations! Does the pond freeze over? At minimum a small floating heater in place just to keep the gas exchange would be good. If you were to overwinter indoors I suppose OCT-MAR would work. I think the important thing is to allow a day or more for the temperature transition. For example, when bringing them indoors, bring them in with the cold pond water and do some water changes with extra pond water as things gradually warm up to room temp.

Thanks. Yah the temps are pretty crazy in NJ

Okay, it sounds like we have similar fish and live in the same area.

I know someone who has an outdoor pond here, but he has koi and it is deep.

I would never put my goldfish and Endlers together. The goldfish would eat them and are too messy. I clean my goldfish tank more than my Endlers.

I would recommend checking craigslist for a winter tank. I have found 50 gallon setups for $100.

I am near Philly.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom