Fantail Goldfish with fin rot..i think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

accentchick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I rescued five three yr old goldfish that are about 4 inches long about 1 1/2 - 2 mths ago and put them in a 55g unestablished tank. I watched the water parameters very closely and the tank has been doing great. I added 2 black moors about 3 wks ago and still everything great until 1 wk ago. I noticed my white fantail starting to get finrot. I test the water about 3 times a wk and each time ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0. PH is 7.6. So as soon as I noticed her tail issues I transferred her into a 10g hospital tank thats been setup for about 2 mths and I started treating her with API Fungus Cure. After doing the full treatment I noticed no change so I did a 50% water change and started API TC tetracyclin. I have done 3 out of the 4 treatments and notice she is more active but her fins are still puffy and white on the ends. Also, she has alot of red streaks (which she has had since this all started) throughtout her fins. I will upload photo soon but if anyone can help in the meantime that would be great. The medicine I have her on now says you can repeat it for another 4 doses if the first doesn't work. I have also been adding API aquarium salt to the tank in the proper dosages as specified.

heres a pic of her i just took:

img_1114662_0_71affc94677819afed7620e20b2b8281.jpg

Red streaks are probably ammonia posioning. Are you using a liquid kit? Strips are very inaccurate. :( Ammonia and nitrite should be 0, and nitrate should be between 5 and 40.
To heal the fins, keep the water really really clean.

I agree, red/blood streaked fins and fin rot are both commonly found with poor water quality.
Hemorrhagic septicemia is a common culprit responsible for such streaks, with good water quality and perhaps some Mela/Pima fix,
the septicemia will be cured, the streaks may or may not disappear
Same goes for the fin rot.
Water Quality and Melafix & Pimafix, should fix the health issue.
Salt is also a option for helping with the fin rot.
If not you may need to medicate.

Were the Goldies in poor conditions when you rescued them?

You are IMHO, overstocked, with just the Goldies, 20gal minimum per fish at that size.
They are notoriously messy fish, huge amounts of bio waste.
You could do the three, alone, in the 55gal with HEAVY filtration, LARGE weekly PWCs and good filter maintenance.

What filtration do you have on this tank?

Wait, your testing NH3-0, NO2-0 & NO3-0 ?
You should be fighting moderate to high NO3 on a ongoing basis with that bio-load, hmmmm?
Something fishy there (bad pun).

Im using a liquid kit and I test about 3 times a wk. When I rescued them they were all 5 kept in a 40 g tank and it was filthy when I showed up to take them home, but I am unsure if they were just neglected their last mth there or if it was an ongoing thing. They all seem to be having a blast in this new tank and everyone else in the tank is doing great. My fantail has now finished her does of antibacterial meds and I am continuing with the salt and waterchanges every 2nd day now (she's in a 10g and it gets dirty pretty quick). The only thing I can think of that started this was that I started feeding them twice a day it may have stressed her out cause thats around when this all started. Any thoughts?

Also, my 55g tank has 2 - 30-60 aquatech filters. They hold altogether 4 filter cartridges, which is my only explanation as to how the tank stays so clean. On a seperate note, if i know the dimensions of my tank how can I find out the exact size gallon wise, because perhaps its bigger than 55g ( its 12 1/2" wide x 20 3/4" high and 48" long).

See below:
img_1115275_0_ae227f5f8d995def195f2db434b0867d.jpg

Gallons in a tank = LxHxW/231
In your case the tank is just over 53 gal. <That is not counting the thickness of the glass ... if those are not inside measurements, then the tank is a bit smaller ... lets call it 50 gal, give or take.>

I agree with the others - water quality is the most likely problem with goldfish tank. In spite of clear water, there can be accumulating stuff in the water. <That is the reason for water testing .. > That tank is considered overstocked for goldies, so a large weekly pwc is in order. <And in the 10 QT, I would be doing daily changes ....>

Generally, clean water & maybe a bit of salt is all that is needed for fin-rot. <And without clean water, all the antibiotics in the world can't help.>

Back
Top Bottom