Favorite foods for Tropical fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm heading out to the LFS to get some more fish food, frozen food, and MelaFix. I was wondering what the best type of frozen food for tropical fish is. I know they go crazy over the bloodworms, but they don't have much nutrional value, right?

Is there something else they like and is better for them, or should I stick to the bloodworms?

Also, are there any inexpensive and good quality flake foods? I know a lot of people like NLS, but $13 is a bit pricey for fish food. Anything more affordable for a teen without a job? I feed Tetramin and Aqueon right now.

The other one that's mentioned fairly often is hikari. I think it's quite pricey too though.

Omega one looks good, thanks. Any frozen food recommendations, or should I stick to bloodworms?

I don't think NLS is that expensive (over time) if you don't overfeed. How many fish are you feeding?

I fed three 5" catfish, two 5" cichlids, and two ~3" perches off a single $14 container of NLS for ~5 months. These fish all have big appetites, but they've been fine with a conservative feeding every other day. I'd estimate that each fish got 3-5 of the medium sized pellets per feeding (I try to single them out for feeding).

That said, I agree that Omega One is a good choice for your situation. If you don't mind the time investment, you could also make your own frozen food. I used to feed a frozen mixture of peas, sprouts, spirulina and some other things I can't remember to one of my cichlid tanks back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom