Feediing my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 20 Africans most mbuna and a couple peacocks and haps. Been feeding just veggie flakes. Should I add something else like once a wek like krill?

A well balanced pellet like NLS Thera A. Check out the ingredients.. It's good stuff. Makes fish look awesome.

Pellets will constipate them you have to feed them shrimp or something every now and then. I keep stock of ghost shrimp in the tank and feed pellets they will eat them when they are hungry for them

Pellets will constipate them you have to feed them shrimp or something every now and then. I keep stock of ghost shrimp in the tank and feed pellets they will eat them when they are hungry for them

I have never heard of NLS constipating any cichlid.. Over feeding may cause bloating but that has nothing to do with type of food. I and may others on this site feed NLS because it is a well balance pellet. I also use spurlina (veggie flake) in between feeding. As a treat I feed frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. You have to watch out though because you don't want to feed those types of food cause the are high in protein.

Diets vary with different species of cichlid. Hopefully others chime in on the topic.

I have never heard of NLS constipating any cichlid.. Over feeding may cause bloating but that has nothing to do with type of food. I and may others on this site feed NLS because it is a well balance pellet. I also use spurlina (veggie flake) in between feeding. As a treat I feed frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. You have to watch out though because you don't want to feed those types of food cause the are high in protein.

Diets vary with different species of cichlid. Hopefully others chime in on the topic.

I honestly do the same minus the veggie flakes, once a week ill put in a slice of zucchini for them to pick at and feed frozen blood worms once every couple weeks for a nice treat. Also drop shrimp pellets in every now and then, they seem to like it

Go out and buy New Life Spectrum Thera-A and their H2O stable algae wafers. Those two foods can be feed exclusively and the fish will be the healthiest you've ever seen. There's no need to mess around with all these other foods that contain fillers and can give your fish bloat.

NLS Ingredient List:

Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Mussel Meal, Algae Meal, Garlic, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Ginseng, Vitamin A Acetate D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), Vitamin B 12 supplement , Thiamine, Biotin, DL-Alphatocophero (E), Riboflavin Supplement , Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate , Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate.

Pellets will constipate them you have to feed them shrimp or something every now and then.

I agree there are alot pellets out there that will cause digestive issues leading to constipation and in some cases bloat, but these are low quality garbage fish foods that uses fillers such as processed flour from corn, oat, and wheat flours instead of quality highly digestible whole ingredients like NLS does. Even with fish massively over fed NLS I haven't seen any digestive problems. Simply compare the labels and you'll see a huge difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom