Feeding a bristlenose...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I cut up a zuchini and freeze the slices? I don't like zuchini but it is one food I see mentioned all the time for plecos. Any others that are good?

Yes you can, just cut it into half-inch thick slices, blanch it in a pot of boiling water tor three minutes, remove from boiling water and put it in a bowl of ice water to let it cool. Drain it, bag it, and freeze it. They do like algae wafers, peas, cucumber, dark green leaf lettuce, sweet potato, green beans are all good. I only use zucchini, peas, and algae wafers.

Thanks!

Doesn't boiling it for 3 minutes take out the nutritional value? Just asking. Do you also boil the other items you suggested?

Hi. I have two bristlenose plecos and have found it usually takes a few attempts for them to try different foods. Mine seem to like grapes, if you take of all of the skin, cucumber, and they love algae wafers, if I stick them to the glass in the tank

I used a slightly different approach that seemed to meet the approval of my former pleco.

I sliced a zucchini into 1/4 - 1/2" circular slices, froze them on a cookie sheet then stored them frozen in a zip lock bag. When ready to feed, I'd microwave a slice or two in a bowl of water for a minute or two, then cool it in a bowl of cold water before dropping in the tank.

When I blanched it prior to freezing, it seemed to thaw very soggy and the pleco didn't like it as much.

My pleco didn't like the seeds and they stuck in the filter so I'd try to remove seeds first.

I actually just cut fresh and nuke it for like 30 seconds myself. I have several of the suction clips and I put the round slices in several places (only because besides my BN I have oto's and whiptail cats). Mine eat seeds and all, they are total pigs. Another thing, mine actually like it pretty soft, if it's too hard they won't even bother. Funny how each one seems to have a preference as to how they want their food cooked!

Mine are really fussy eaters, sometimes they look at the food you put in and you can just imagine them thinking 'do you really think im going to eat that?!'

Mine did that at first but finally after just leaving it in overnight, a few weeks down the line they started eating it. But I have found they usually don't start eating it till it sits in the tank for a couple hours, guess they like it soggy!

Rivercats. I agree. Mine are the exact same. Wierd. But I love them both to pieces, they are my favourite as well as my African dwarf frogs

All I do is cut a cucumber slice and throw it in. My pleco always eats out the middle and he seems to like eating the seeds. He also loves shrimp pellets and flakes.

Back
Top Bottom