feeding carrotts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterashley

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I heard from a friend that you can feed mollies and guppies carrots if you are out of food and they will be fine. Is this true? I have tried this once with baby food carrots they seem to like it and be attracted to it but cannot really be something that you can feed in between flake food?

Not sure about that but I no you can feed Pleco's cucumbers so I wouldn't think it would be a problem but I would wait till someone with a bit more knowledge answers 1st lol

I feed cooked, deshelled peas and blanched zucchini hung on veggie clips regularly to all my fish. Broccoli florets work well also hung on veggie clips. I've never used carrots but I would imagine if you cut 1/4" strips and soften them slightly in a microwave then rapidly cool them under cold water they would also work for hanging on veggie clips.

What my feiend had suggested was boiled carrot sluces and to place 2 or 3 in the tank.. i hope that it is not bad for them. They are already soft so it is easy for the to eat. I have never heard of uaing veggies.. is this a substitute or ahould you still be feeding flake food along with the veggies.. ? Also.. will the veggies create priblems with the bio of the tank?

I feed carrots to my guys. Its not a substitute for a quality food but a supplement and ensures they have a broad and healthy diet along with the other fruits and veggies they eat. I cook them until soft then place a few slices in a garlic press. The garlic press makes nice, tiny bite sized pieces. Works well for other tough veggies such as peppers or if you dont feel like deshelling peas (smooshes out the inside but leaves the shell in the press). :)

I cook them until soft then place a few slices in a garlic press. The garlic press makes nice, tiny bite sized pieces. Works well for other tough veggies such as peppers or if you dont feel like deshelling peas (smooshes out the inside but leaves the shell in the press). :)

I like it! I'll be pinching that idea! :)

I feed my fish a variety of vegetables and fruit during the week.

Carrot, corn, peas, broccoli, zucchini, apple, etc They seem to enjoy the variety.

I liken it to someone telling you that you have to eat beef every night for your life. You would get bored of it pretty soon ;-)

What my feiend had suggested was boiled carrot sluces and to place 2 or 3 in the tank.. i hope that it is not bad for them. They are already soft so it is easy for the to eat. I have never heard of uaing veggies.. is this a substitute or ahould you still be feeding flake food along with the veggies.. ? Also.. will the veggies create priblems with the bio of the tank?

feeding veggies is fine, most fish are omnivores just like us and need both meat and veggie foods in their diet to be healthy

it is not a substitute but instead should be fed along with a high quality flake food like omega one or new life spectrum. Also freeze dried or frozen food should be included to ensure a nice healthy diet. of course not all at one, i typically feed flake food 4 days out of the week, then frozen 2 days and some blanched peas on the last day of the week.

veggies wont mess with your bio-filter just dont leave them in the tank longer then 12 to 24 hours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom