Feeding frequency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Posting another thread here as this is specialized for cichlids.

Right now I have a convict and firemouth that are 1.75" and 2". I have a jar of NLS cichlid formula, and have been feeding a small pinch of the pellets once a day for the last few days.

I've seen articles/posts mention feeding 2-4 times a day when fish are smaller to help ensure proper/fast growth. I've also seen articles/posts saying to add frozen foods for variety 1-3 times a week.

So, some questions.

-Is 2-4 feedings a day optimal for my size of fish until they are adults?
-When will they reach "adult" age/size?
-Will adding in some frozen food like mysis shrimp/spirulina 1-3 times a week or so be ok?
-Will the frozen food conflict with the nutrition provided by the NLS? It says recommended to feed only NLS for balanced nutrition.

Thanks, a bit lost here.

Right now I have a convict and firemouth that are 1.75" and 2". I have a jar of NLS cichlid formula, and have been feeding a small pinch of the pellets once a day for the last few days.

I've seen articles/posts mention feeding 2-4 times a day when fish are smaller to help ensure proper/fast growth. I've also seen articles/posts saying to add frozen foods for variety 1-3 times a week.

So, some questions.

-Will adding in some frozen food like mysis shrimp/spirulina 1-3 times a week or so be ok?
-Will the frozen food conflict with the nutrition provided by the NLS? It says recommended to feed only NLS for balanced nutrition.

Thanks, a bit lost here.

Frozen is ok as a treat, once a week or so. Thaw it in some tank water first. And no it shouldn't conflict with he NLS. the recommendation for feeding is to feed enough that they finish in 2-3 minutes. Feeding twice a day is fine, just don't over feed. This can cause a number of issues such as deteriorating your water conditions. As for when they reach adult size, no idea. I'm an African guy right now, and have no experience with New Worlds.

So, some questions.

Thanks, a bit lost here.
Off subject, how big is you're tank?
You're convict might kill you're fire mouth when it grows bigger.

When my fish are juveniles i feed twice a day. Once they mature they are only fed once a day. I wouldnt worry about feeding frozen foods, the nls pellets are a well balanced diet. I feed nls exclusively and my fish are beautiful and very healthy.

Ok, I will try twice a day with NLS only.

Off subject, how big is you're tank?
You're convict might kill you're fire mouth when it grows bigger

It is currently a 20 gallon long. They are both female and I was told with them both being female I'd have a better chance of success. Right now the convict occasionally chases the firemouth, then other times they'll be swimming together.

Ok, I will try twice a day with NLS only.

It is currently a 20 gallon long. They are both female and I was told with them both being female I'd have a better chance of success. Right now the convict occasionally chases the firemouth, then other times they'll be swimming together.
How do you know the convict is a female? You know it impossible/Almost impossible to distinguish the sex of a convict?(Anal fin/Breeding)
Also, you might want to upgrade soon, because the convict is one dangerous fish. Alone it is fine, in a pair, it will kill all you have:) Just make sure to keep an eye on them when they grow to about 3''-5''
Also, since you're tank is not that big, i would suggest feeding at most twice a day, like you got told:) If not, once a day is good too. I know people who feed every other day.
Also, depending on how big it is, what type of food(Flakes, pellets,frozen...)
I have BloodWorms, Brine Shrimp, large pellets, tropical flakes and cichlid pellets. Varying diets is probably the best you can do to make sure they are happy and healthy:)

I was told the bright orange mark on its belly distinguished it from males.

Sorry I wasn't more specific, but I don't have a pair. I have 1 female convict @ 2", and 1 female firemouth @ 1.5". Also, I'm limited on my upgrades. A 20 gallon tank is the heaviest my floor can support (old building) so I went with the long over the normal for the bigger footprint.

I was told the bright orange mark on its belly distinguished it from males.

Sorry I wasn't more specific, but I don't have a pair. I have 1 female convict @ 2", and 1 female firemouth @ 1.5". Also, I'm limited on my upgrades. A 20 gallon tank is the heaviest my floor can support (old building) so I went with the long over the normal for the bigger footprint.
My convict has nothing on it's belly, since it's black. I would really tell you, the only way of knowing is putting it with a male(You would know by asking a breeder), and seeing if they mate.
Also, i don't think they will pair, they are of different species, temperament, and maybe sexes. The best pair is male/male(Destructive). Just make sure to watch out, convicts are dangerous things. I've heard about a convict in my lfs that killed an oscar the same size as him.

How do you know the convict is a female? You know it impossible/Almost impossible to distinguish the sex of a convict?(Anal fin/Breeding)

Where did you ever hear that, they may be tougher to sex visually due to constant inbreeding but to say that they're impossible or near impossible is nonsense.

Also, you might want to upgrade soon, because the convict is one dangerous fish. Alone it is fine, in a pair, it will kill all you have:) Just make sure to keep an eye on them when they grow to about 3''-5'')

I'm sorry but that statement is downright silly, there are literally thousands upon thousands of aquarist who keep pairs(including myself) of Amatitlania nigrofasciata in a community Cichlid set up.

Last edited:
Where did you ever hear that, they may be tougher to sex visually due to constant inbreeding but to say that they're impossible or near impossible is nonsense.

I'm sorry but that statement is downright silly, there are literally thousands upon thousands of aquarist who keep pairs(including myself) of Amatitlania nigrofasciata in a community Cichlid set up.
From my last experience, a pair of convicts get very territorial. All I'm doing is warning on what might happen if two male convicts pair up and start being territorial, or breeding. I'm not saying it is the case for all, if you have a good spaced aquarium.

For the sex thing, it's almost impossible in random circumstances, unless you can spot well.

From my last experience, a pair of convicts get very territorial. All I'm doing is warning on what might happen if two male convicts pair up and start being territorial, or breeding. I'm not saying it is the case for all, if you have a good spaced aquarium.

For the sex thing, it's almost impossible in random circumstances, unless you can spot well.

I dont think that 2 males will pair up and breed lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom