Feeding snails to fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last spring 2015 I waged war on ramshorn snails breeding like rats in my tank. Out of sentiment and admiration for the pretty pink snails and beautiful she'll shape I tossed a few in a tank outside. I recently cleaned that tank and they are surviving even though they are never fed.

I was considering crushing some to feed to my fish. What do you think? Good or bad idea?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472919230.003400.jpg

I have Betta's, neons, Denison barbs, ADF, khuli's that are always hungry and will probably eat these without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If they were outside, I wouldn't feed. May diseases use animals like snails as intermediate hosts for their eggs so if you feed the snails to your fish, you've help complete the "bug's" lifecycle.
There is a long tedious process to help eliminate any possibility of the snails transmitting diseases but it's generally not worth the effort or risk.

Hope this helps. (y)

If they were outside, I wouldn't feed. May diseases use animals like snails as intermediate hosts for their eggs so if you feed the snails to your fish, you've help complete the "bug's" lifecycle.
There is a long tedious process to help eliminate any possibility of the snails transmitting diseases but it's generally not worth the effort or risk.

Hope this helps. (y)

Even if they were in a closed tank? The top was screened to keep bugs /mosquitos / raccoons from playing in it.

Even if they were in a closed tank? The top was screened to keep bugs /mosquitos / raccoons from playing in it.

Screens do not keep out bacteria or eggs that can be found in bird droppings which is where many "bugs" are transported so NO, if it wasn't a totally sealed tank where no air or water from the outside could get in, I wouldn't chance it.

It's on a covered patio. No birds or rain.

I've given you the best reason not to do it. If you insist on doing it, just be aware that something can go wrong that was totally preventable. Your choice. ;)

I've given you the best reason not to do it. If you insist on doing it, just be aware that something can go wrong that was totally preventable. Your choice. ;)

I believe you! I'm just trying to figure out how the snails could pick up nasty little beasties. I had no idea.

If you want your snails gone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get a puffer. I had way too many and 1 teenage puffer cleaned the tank out in a day. That or assassin snails. Make sure you get the biggest assassin snail you can. They have a hard time killing anything the same size as them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The ramshorn are not in my main tank. But was just wondering about using them as a natural food source.

I kept a few out of sentimental reasons after removing them from my tank and am very impressed at their ability to survive and reproduce in a closed 5 gallon tank with a little algae in it and nothing else.

I remember my stepmom crushing pond snails that had shown up in her angle fish tank back in the 70's and the fish feasting on them.

There were less contaminated things back in the 70s so you shouldn't compare now to then. I was doing fish back then as I am now and know there is a difference. ;) (y) Today, there are all kinds of diseases my fish never even heard of back in the 60s and 70s and even the 80s. Today's fish are a sad state of affairs by comparison. :(

Back
Top Bottom