Feeding time!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello how often should you feed your juvenille to young adult fish???

I feed mine twice a day once at morning and once at night and a piece of seaweed daily.

What I feed them is 1 cube of frozen bloodworms n a little bit of flakes in the am n pm

How often is not as important as how much. I have juvenile fish and feed them for 2 minutes in the morning and 2 minutes in the afternoon. I only feed bloodworm's once a week, and also feed freeze dried brine shrimp once a week for variety. Once a week I have them fast for 24 hours. Twice a week I drop a zucchini or cucumber in for the pleco and oto's, but I see the barbs and rainbowfish nip and tug at it, breaking pieces off.

However, you will find A LOT of opinion on the subject. It will depend a lot on the type of fish you have.

ok well this is what i currently have in my tank

1 rainbow shark
1 pictus catfish
2 juvenile 3 spot gouramis
8 tiger barb
4 black skirt tetra
1 pleco
and 6 platys

my tank its a 75 gal planted, am i overstocked????

If you ever need generic advise on tank size compared to quantity and type of fish, AqAdvisor.com has a pretty nice tool that allows you to enter your tank size, filter(s), then add your fish into a calculator that will determine some generalized guidelines as far as stocking and filtration requirements.

I don't think you are overstocked, but some specific plecostomus are measured in feet, not inches. But you can enter the exact fish you have into the calculator and see what it says.

this is wat it said

Recommended water change schedule: 52% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 30% per week)
Your aquarium stocking level is 145%.

im not sure if that is exactly true

Sounds like it thinks you are overstocked. But, I don't know whet you put in for fish, filter or tank. If you think it is wrong, contact the owner. He is also a member here. Stocking levels have a lot more to do with surface area than overall gallons.

ohhhhhh i put my fluval 404 canister and 75 gal and
1 rainbow shark
1 pictus catfish
2 juvenile 3 spot gouramis
8 tiger barb juvenile
4 black skirt tetra
1 pleco
and 6 platys

You probably need to be more specific. For instance, "pleco" has 36 different species. Some plecostomus are only 3 to 4 inches, others can be over 3 feet long.

This is what I got without the pleco
AquStockImage.php

Note: Rainbow Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Warning: At least 5 x Black Skirt Tetra are recommended in a group.
Recommended temperature range: 71.6 - 77 F.
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.
You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 126%.
Recommended water change schedule: 20% per week.Your aquarium stocking level is 68%

With the common pleco:
AquStockImage.php

Note: Rainbow Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Note: Common Pleco needs driftwood.
Warning: Common Pleco is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 18 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Black Skirt Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 155% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Pterygoplichthys pardalis) or get a larger tank.
Recommended temperature range: 71.6 - 77 F.
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.
Warning: You should add more aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 70%.
Recommended water change schedule: 53% per week. (You might want to split this water change schedule to two separate 31% per week). Your aquarium stocking level is 106%

You probably need to be more specific. For instance, "pleco" has 36 different species. Some plecostomus are only 3 to 4 inches, others can be over 3 feet long.

my plecco is a common one, i know its big but im not shure how big it always hids in a cave and cant see his whole body its 6+ inches i know that for sure and i had it since sept or oct of 09 and it was maybe 3 inches long

The calculator will estimate fish at mature size and bio load, assuming that they will grow to adult stature if you take care of them.

It's your call, but choosing a smaller specie of Plecostomus might be good unless you are finished stocking the tank. There are various other warnings indicated... but you can read.

When I got it I didnt know it was gonna get that big n im planning on ditching gim n the pictus cat I want some neon t. When the plants grow more maybe 3 months for now

Back
Top Bottom