Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone feed their guppies or mollies earthworms ?

When I had enormous American cichlids I fed them earthworms. I felt very conflicted- the poor worms!! (I'm ridiculously squeamish). Plus I wasn't sure if they were safe for the fish (I don't know what has gone into that soil over the years)

My guppies love mosquito larvae (I have a couple of buckets in the back yard that provide me with a steady supply). But if you want to try the earthworms- I'd suggest using a bag of clean organic soil, and breeding them in a tub/barrel. Harvest them while they're still small enough to be eaten quickly. :)

When I had enormous American cichlids I fed them earthworms. I felt very conflicted- the poor worms!! (I'm ridiculously squeamish). Plus I wasn't sure if they were safe for the fish (I don't know what has gone into that soil over the years)

My guppies love mosquito larvae (I have a couple of buckets in the back yard that provide me with a steady supply). But if you want to try the earthworms- I'd suggest using a bag of clean organic soil, and breeding them in a tub/barrel. Harvest them while they're still small enough to be eaten quickly. :)

Is it possible to catch mosquito larvae in colder weather ? Like winter

Is it possible to catch mosquito larvae in colder weather ? Like winter

I don't think so. I'm in autumn and getting far fewer larvae than in the warmer months. In summer I was overrun with larvae- it was all I could do to harvest the pupae before they turned into adult mosquitos. Maybe I've just been over-harvesting..... Prolly should have let a few pupae change?
At least with a little worm farm you'd have live food all year round.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom