Female betta in community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazy4fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I was just wanting to know you alls thoughts were to keep a female betta in with mollies sword tails and platies and angel fish in a thirty gallon tank. I have a tank divider if needed but I would rather have her be able to swim with all my other fish. Any thoughts on that?

Hi everyone, I was just wanting to know you alls thoughts were to keep a female betta in with mollies sword tails and platies and angel fish in a thirty gallon tank. I have a tank divider if needed but I would rather have her be able to swim with all my other fish. Any thoughts on that?

Compared to male bettas I actually had reasonable success with my female betta in community tanks. In my opinion I would be happy with a female betta in a community tank on the condition the betta has enough places to hide/rest out of sight in.

There are a lot of tall an d big plants that my betta could hide in. I do have a male in another tank he is actually in a community tank as well he does just fine but I just wanted people's thoughts about a female in a community. Thanks so much!

Females will act pretty much like males, so the same rules apply. Feel free to try it, it often works out just fine. Make sure to keep an eye on it and have a back-up plan for her if it doesn't work out.

absolutangel04 said:
Females will act pretty much like males, so the same rules apply. Feel free to try it, it often works out just fine. Make sure to keep an eye on it and have a back-up plan for her if it doesn't work out.

+1 totally agree on this!

As many people here have said, the same rules DO apply to female betta fish as well as males. Bettas are not naturally a community fish, and trying to force them to be just that can be harmful to the mentality of your fish. Most bettas do excellent in a 5 gallon tank BY THEMSELVES. Females will not do well with other females, like males dont do well with other males. HOWEVER, if you really want to put a female betta in there, think of these things first:
1.)You can only keep one female betta per tank, same as males
2.)Make sure the tank is very large in size, and it is far from over-stocked. This will prevent your female from feeling the need to protect her territory.
3.)Make sure the other fish in the aquarium are not very brightly colored. Sadly, if you want a betta in a community tank, the betta will have to be your "centerpiece fish". The other fish need to be dull colored, with short fins. This is because bettas might be smart, but they are not geniuses. They will almost always attack any fish that even slightly resembles a betta.
4.)Make sure there are lots of hiding spaces for both the other fish, and the betta. The betta will need a cave, or other small place where she can hide in to escape the other fish. Believe it or not, your betta is just as scared of other fish as the other fish are scared of it. For different reasons of course, but still the same. You also need to provide hiding spots for the other fish when your betta gives chase (which she will at some point)
5.)Make sure that the fish you put in with the betta are fast swimmers, so they can escape easily.
6.)Make introductions very slowly, and monitor the fish for 12 hours before going to bed to break up and fishy fights if nessessary.

HOWEVER, if you intend to put mollies, or guppies in that tank, you really need to critically rethink putting a betta in there.

HOPE THIS HELPED :D
-Bettaluv

Thank you all for your tips. Does anyone have a fav female betta breed?

I've had many females in different community tanks. It's a crapshoot mixing with those livebearers. Some of them will be nippy with bettas, and others won't. Same for the betta. Some bettas are fine with those livebearers, some aren't. IME mollies and swords are a less likely target for the betta than the platties, and mollies are the most likely to bully the betta. I wouldn't even think about using a divider. Mollies, swords, and the angels get very large and need the entire tank.

I would just be sure to have backup in the form of an empty, cycled, filtered, heated five gallon or ten gallon

Back
Top Bottom