Female bettas in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 26 gallon bowfront stocked with
1 male dwarf gourami
7 cardinal tetras
1 male swordtail
3 otos

Can I add some female Bettas? Or would that be a bad choice? Here's a pic of my tank

Attachments

• image-3893836739.jpg
    image-3893836739.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 88
Nice tank!! I'm not sure I don't have any experience with bettas. Sorry.

Really wouldn't. While females are safer in community tanks, in my experience, they still hate moving fish like tetras and in a 29G it's too small for a betta to find a place of its own out of the way.

It depends my one betta, Romeo, loves his two cory cats and hates only neon tetras but will let guppies and even gouramis swim around him. My other betta, Fade, hates everyone and everything expect me. See bettas are like cichlid individuals. Only thing I would worry about is that gourami with bettas cause they are close cousins and sometimes fight. I say go for it but be careful. Honestly a hit or miss.

I had a female with a similar set up and it was great. A lot comes down to the fish and its temperament.

Personally I would give it a try and have a back up plan if it didn't work out. Ièd also only try a single female.

I had a female and she made a great community fish. I would say if you added two you could see how it went but just have a backup plan.

I'd be worried about the gourami and the swordtail with a betta----lots of temptation there due to finnage. You could try it but have a backup plan for the betta. I'd only add one female; female sororities can be done but they need larger numbers (and their own large tank). Two females are likely to kill each other.

Back
Top Bottom