Female cockatoo cichlid burrowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it normal for female cockatoo cichlids to burrow? I've had my cockatoo cichlid pair for a little while now and have lots of plants, a few rock hides, a couple driftwood hides, and two small tipped flower pots - one on its side and the other resting mostly upside down with one edge lifted by a rock. The female was living in a driftwood cave but the tank recently had a temporary guest (Spazzy, the dojo loach) and he knocked the driftwood over. I set it back up, but she didn't care. So now, instead of using any of the other hides, she's taken up residence inside one of the legs of a fake driftwood ornament. It's hollow I guess. She wiggles in and out on her side. As cute and kinda fascinating as it is to watch, it doesn't look very comfortable lol. I'm worried that the texture of the ornament is too rough and she could get scratched and get an infection or her skin could get raw from the roughness and she could get an infection that way, but I'm also worried that taking another cave away from her will stress her out or something. And she did choose it over the dozen other hides I offered -_- She must have a reason. Any suggestions? Maybe I should try setting up a different kind of hide? Maybe she's just a weird little fish and it won't matter? lol

I'm super crazy about her! She's just so adorable! So any advice you guys can give would be great. Or feel free to tell me I'm just being a worrywart. I don't mind :p

All good, she's just digging out a spawning cave, really cool behavior, mine would have to go in sideways because the hole was so tight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good! Thanks! I'm glad she's not the only one who does that lol. Yeah, she goes in sideways too. She lays on her side and wiggles in and out. It really is super awesome to see :) If the material of the driftwood ornament were too rough though, would she know to dig a little deeper so she's not rubbing against it all the time? It's not plastic. It's like a hard rocky material and the outside of it is really rough and kinda sharp. I actually scratched myself pretty good taking it out of the box, but I covered it with moss so it wouldn't damage any fins. I hadn't planned on anyone tunneling underneath it though lol.

She'll be fine.. they're tough little fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom