Female holding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammbaxter

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm no expert on telling whether a fish is holding or not but I've been told to look for the "pouch" in the mouth or throat area and I have one female red zebra and she looks like she's holding, but I wanted to get a second opinion. What do you guys think? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413696194.387769.jpg

It looks like it , she will stop eating most of the time if carrying
you need to make shore you have some food to feed the fry
new hatched brine shrimp , micro worms (my favorite) , vinegar worms
ground up flakes sometimes work but will pollute the tank if your not real careful and some fry don't know if it is food if it does not move

I do have a single fry left from a previous batch of fry from the same female. I've fed him crushed flakes and he's nearly an inch in size already. He's in the same tank as the big guys and it's like they don't even notice him. I keep waiting for him to get eaten, but he's still there, every day, ha!

did only one of the batch survive, if so it may be the food
the parents may allow the older fry to stay with them

I didn't even know they were there until I saw four of them, but one by one they were getting eaten by my cichlids until just the one was left. I would have put them in another tank, but I didn't have one on hand.

How random-I just realized my cherry red zebra is holding too! My first time having this happen. Pretty exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Definitely exciting the first time! It's super awesome to watch them grow! Goodluck! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom