Female Paradise Fish?? Is she ill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,
For afew days now my female paradise fish has been acting very lethargic,
She is lying tail down, head up, vertically in the bushes in my tank,
she is normally flying around all happy and playing with the other fish,
Yet lately she has been very quiet and has been in the bushes,
my other fish have ick and are getting treated tomorrow when i can get to the LPS for some ick treatment.
Is she coming down with something related?
She IS still eating, anything wrong??

This may sound stupid - is she settling somewhere quiet to die??
OR
Has she bred with my male platy? As she is an egg layer could this be linked to her behaviour?
And if they have bred, how will she cope with not knowing how to construct the 'nest' like a male egg laying breeder would??

Thanks x

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but she is most likely dying :(

A note on the ich, ich is a parasite that has most likely already infected all the fish in your tank. Get treatment started as soon as possible to save the others. Ich is very curable and usually is cured without any lasting effects if caught in time, and depending on the fishes sensitivity.

There is no way your paradise fish and your platy could have bred. They are different species, and they reproduce in different manners also :)

I have a feeling that if you dont get a bigger tank, this is going to be a recurring thing... No offense to you, and it looks like you are doing everything you can with trying to get them better, but you have a total of what, 8 fish now? Being that cramped in such a small tank is no doubt stressing those fish, and probably a big factor in the sickness. Go out and spend $12 at walmart for a 10g tank... It doesnt take up much more room than your 4g and will definately improve the health of your fish.

Not too sure, but I don't think they have WalMarts in Europe :p.
But my vote would be for a bigger tank too, MUCH easier to maintain!

Hey,
Thanks for the replies,
No i dont have 8 fish - i have 4,
2 platy's 1 paradise and 1 sucking loach.
No more is the paradise lethargic, she is swimming around again?? :S

She hasnt got any white spots,
Getting the treatment tomorrow night,
Should heal i hope - keep you posted??

Thankks x

ok, sorry, i based that number on your "my tanks" link... said 3 platys, 4 babies, and a loach... glad to hear its doing better though

Hello,
No its fine,
All of my baby platy's have passed i think,
My platy gave birth so quickly i didnt even have time to put her in a breeding tank!!
But unfortunately she passed after birth,
Now its just gail,martin,finley and ditty,
Oh yeah - and me hahaa
HollieDahhrlinn x

Back
Top Bottom